1 x Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H
    1 x AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket AM2 processor
    1 x 1GB stick of PC5400 Ram
    4 x 500GB Seagate SATAII Hard Drives
    1 x 320GB Seagate SATAII Hard Drive
    2 x 250GB ATA Hard Drives
    1 x 580W Hiper Type R Power Supply

it has been running great.
    Unfortunately I cant keep it running all the time because I live in a shared house and one of my house mates is always complaining about the electricity bill.

Anyway, I went to turn it on today, and it boots up fine, gets to the login screen. It the sits there quite happily for about 1 min before it decides to reboot itself.
    This process just goes on and on.
    Any suggests to what it could be? Could it be a power supply issue?
    I also have it running in conjunction with an APC BE700-UK UPS.

Any ideas anyone?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:25 PM

Answers

•  Ken Warren wrote:
    Okay. Try a boot to safe mode, and see if you can get a look at the event logs.

I tried to boot into safe mode but this also failed.

But I tried the option to use the last known good configuration and this seems to have fixed the problem
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• Do you have a chance to look at the event logs?

Is it closing down, or spontaneously rebooting? If the latter, it could be a BSOD that you're not seeing because it's configured to reboot afterwards

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:29 PM
  • spontaneously rebooting for what i can see to be no apparent reason
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:32 PM
  • I'm betting on the UPS being the source of your problems. The hardware you list is a bit under the maximum capacity of that unit, but you don't list a video card (which you obviously have) or a DVD drive, and if you've got additional equipment plugged in, you may be exceeding it's capacity. Some UPS units will trigger a reboot in that situation. Others will just shut themselves down.

Try disconnecting the USB cable from the UPS to the server and see what happens.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I'm betting on the UPS being the source of your problems. The hardware you list is a bit under the maximum capacity of that unit, but you don't list a video card (which you obviously have) or a DVD drive, and if you've got additional equipment plugged in, you may be exceeding it's capacity. Some UPS units will trigger a reboot in that situation. Others will just shut themselves down.

Try disconnecting the USB cable from the UPS to the server and see what happens.

I've tried bypassing the UPS, ie plugging the pc directly into the mains using a surge protected socket.
    I haven't had the UPS very long and haven't set up the USB connection to it as of yet.
    I only have an external DVD drive on the unit, so that has its own power source.
    I normally run the system without a graphics card, but the one i temporarily put in place was a geforce 6200. i do have about 5 or 6 fans in my system, but i disconnected them from the power supply to see if it was a having too much power pulled through it, but i'm still having the same problem.
    The only things I've actually got connected into my tower at the moment are the power supply cable, a network lead and the monitor
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Okay. Try a boot to safe mode, and see if you can get a look at the event logs.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 4:05 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Okay. Try a boot to safe mode, and see if you can get a look at the event logs.

I tried to boot into safe mode but this also failed.

But I tried the option to use the last known good configuration and this seems to have fixed the problem
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 4:45 PM
  • I too had this happen to me yesterday. The server does a reboot before I can log in. It seems like a proper reboot since it shows all messages on screen just like it should when I order the reboot. the only thing I kan think of is that I installed addins, and requested a reboot from the console. Thats when it started. When it reboots if boots to normal login screen, then after about 15 seconds it starts a shut down. This also happens in safemode. pressing F8 and loading last good profile cleared the problem. There was no bluescreen at any time ( disbled bluereboot from F8).

The server has only been up for 3 days. But prior to this it was stable running windows 2000 for about 4 months.

HW is:

MSI K9AGM2-FIH, AMD 690G+SB600, HDMI

Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024MB

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.1GHz Socket AM2

Intel MT 1000 network card

Chieftec Bravo Micro-ATX Tower

2x 500GB samsung SATA drives.

1x 400gb samsung SATA drive.

1x 300gb samsung SATA drive.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:54 AM
  •  

Are your servers configured to automatically update?

I had a similar problem and could only cure it by logging in with a keyboard directly attached to the WHS.

When I checked three KBs had been installed overnight, of which one (KB890830 - Malicious Software Removal Tool) appeared to be the culprit.

See Found my WHS in a continual re-boot cycle this morning. KB890830 to blame?

Tim

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I reinstalled my WHS last evening and basically loaded nothing extra.  I rebooted it numerous times and finally removed the mouse and keyboard.  It seemed very stable.  This morning, I let Windows update apply 3 fixes.  I think it was .NET 2 SP1, KB890830, and IE 7.  After the updates installed, the machine rebooted.  And rebooted.  And rebooted.  Continuously.  Safe mode did not work.  Fortunately, Last Known Good worked.  Now I'm wondering if this WHS thing is a great big house of cards that will demand more and more of my time until I finally give up.  I'm getting close.

FWIW, I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with an AMD 64 X2 4000+ CPU.  I wonder if there's something about the AMD?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:25 PM
  • BGood2,

I'm running a Giga-Byte GA-MA69VM-S2 with a AMD 64 x2 4200+ and 2 GB of ram.  I've not seen any issues with the system after updates.  I choose the AMD as that's what HP is using in their home server units.  

Joe

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:14 PM