Upgrade to Windows 7 and Recorded TV from Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Vista Media Center with dual cable cards (in the US).  Will i be able to keep my recorded TV if i upgrade to Windows 7?

I have about 300 recorded HD movies that were made using the cable card.  It would be sad to lose my collection when/if i upgrade.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:34 PM

Answers

• That may be more a question for the Windows Media Center related forums or newsgroups. Even if Windows Home Server (this forum is about that operating system, so if you don't use it, you are off topic here) with Power Pack 2 now integrates better with Media Center, Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a hot iron and related questions cannot be answered easily.
    And an assumption does not help a lot (I would assume, that upgrading would preserve the DRM, while a fresh installation won't. But upgrading to a Beta or Release candidate of Windows may touch the things different and includes a time bomb. (Nobody knows, if you will be able to upgrade from such a version to the final release.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:22 PM
  • This is the Windows Home Server forum. You'll probably get more help if you ask in a more appropriate forum, such as the Windows Vista forums or the web site The Green Button.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

All replies

• That may be more a question for the Windows Media Center related forums or newsgroups. Even if Windows Home Server (this forum is about that operating system, so if you don't use it, you are off topic here) with Power Pack 2 now integrates better with Media Center, Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a hot iron and related questions cannot be answered easily.
    And an assumption does not help a lot (I would assume, that upgrading would preserve the DRM, while a fresh installation won't. But upgrading to a Beta or Release candidate of Windows may touch the things different and includes a time bomb. (Nobody knows, if you will be able to upgrade from such a version to the final release.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
  • This is the Windows Home Server forum. You'll probably get more help if you ask in a more appropriate forum, such as the Windows Vista forums or the web site The Green Button.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)