Assigning Back up to a Particular drive with WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Everyone seems to be dancing around the real question while panning the loss of DE.  I had WHS2011 installed for three days until the Server Back up failed because it ran out of space.  I had filled out the question on the server back up to use all four extra drive which I had installed.  It used none of them. 

In addition I did not see any UI to point a partiular client to a specific drive on the WHS2011 server?  There was little UI help to set this all up.  What am I missing here?  This program is appearing to be more like "Bob II"

The real question is HOW DO I BACK UP CLIENTS TO A DRIVE OTHER THAT THE OS INSTALLED DRIVE IN WHS2011?  If I can do this, I can live without DE.

I have reinstall WHS2003 until I can get some answers.  I need reliable back up NOW!

Dick Hawes
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• Dick

Very simple it's been answered many times on this forum. Go to the Dashbord and the "Server Folders and Hard Drives, Server Folders" tab. Select the "Client Computer Backups" folder and run the "Move the Folder" wizard (in the right hand panel) and move the location to your desired location.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by The_Deckster Monday, July 29, 2013 3:18 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:39 PM
  • You can move the backup database as a whole to any drive in your server. You can't split  the backup database between multiple disks, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:40 PM
  • With WHS2011 you have to use the move folder wizard (in Dashboard) to move folders to your desired location.  The move folder wizard works faster the less data in the folders to be moved so if you can set up your folder locations right after WHS install.

You didn't say the size of your 4 drives, so for discussion lets assume 1TB each.  I would set up the folder distribution as follows:

Drive 1:  60GB System, 980GB user data, documents

Drive 2:  1TB software (distribution, updates, etc)

Drive 3:  1TB media (music, videos, pictures,recorderd tv, etc)

Drive 4:  1TB client computer backups

Add a usb drive for the server backups....should be 2TB or larger (around $90 on sale) Hint...don't include the client computer backups in the server backup

Your setup will likely differ depending on the primary usage of the server...client backups, user data, media streaming, etc.  If the 1TB is not large enough for any of your folders, you could use larger drives.  True its more of a hassle without the drive extender, but once set up correctly it works very reliably.

...JJC...
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:12 PM
  • The "Client Computer Backups" is hardly the issue. Over several days time, I moved nearly 4TB of DVD copies onto two 2TB HDDs, nearly 4TB of playable videos onto two 2TB HDDs and over 1TB of recorded TV, Photos, music and documents onto another 2TB HDD, from my WHSv1 to the new WHS 2011. I then took the old HDDs to be used as backup drives on the WHS 2011.  I can find no way to assign any drive to serve as a backup drive for any specific folder--the first drive available gets filled up, goes red-lined, and backup slows to zip with an "alert."

I tried installing all 5 drives at once, and also one-at-a-time, enabling one source drive/folder at a time.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:54 PM
  • I can find no way to assign any drive to serve as a backup drive for any specific folder--the first drive available gets filled up, goes red-lined, and backup slows to zip with an "alert."

You can only have a single drive at a time connected to the Server allocated as a Backup Drive. If you want to use more than 1 backup drive, you need to disconnect the first before adding a second and then changing the backup options to back up different data to that second drive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by groves31 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Thank you for the answer. Just when I thought WHS 2011 was so wonderfull--that the 2TB limit meant "per folder" or "per drive."

My 5-plus TB of data on WHSv1 worked fine, DE worked fine, I could assign each subject or folder to a specific backup drive.  I foolishly just wanted to upgrade. I happen to like Win7 on which WHS 2011 seems to be based--the operations seem to be faster, and the access from the client PCs is certainly faster.

I have moved from HP MSS 485 plus and Acer, to home-built WHSv1 with 12 HDDs, to this new but inadequate WHS 2011 with ten 2TBs plus more one-TB.  At this instant, there is NO backup for any of the DVDs or videos. The data and photos are on some individual PCs.

I guess I will revert to WHSv1 (tears!!)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I understand your frustration - it really is inadequate in these days of large video libraries. I have two WHS Servers on my network and use one to effectively back up the other!!
    • Proposed as answer by groves31 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:37 PM
  • The "Client Computer Backups" is hardly the issue. Over several days time, I moved nearly 4TB of DVD copies onto two 2TB HDDs, nearly 4TB of playable videos onto two 2TB HDDs and over 1TB of recorded TV, Photos, music and documents onto another 2TB HDD, from my WHSv1 to the new WHS 2011. I then took the old HDDs to be used as backup drives on the WHS 2011.  I can find no way to assign any drive to serve as a backup drive for any specific folder--the first drive available gets filled up, goes red-lined, and backup slows to zip with an "alert."

I tried installing all 5 drives at once, and also one-at-a-time, enabling one source drive/folder at a time.

You need larger drives, for sure.... :)
    You'll have to make them spanned (no redundancy if one or more fails) or find some sort of RAID-solution.

Or use another backup solution that doesn't have the limitations the WHS 2011 has.

I use 2 x 2TB drives spanned to 3.726TB and mirror the data to a similiar spanned pair with SyncToy x64.
    Maybe not the best of solutions, but that's the way I handle it.
    It's mostly ripped DVDs and TV-shows that, if drives collapse, is time consuming to restore.

My more important data is copied three ways - Crashplan Central, another internal drive and to a USB-cabinet.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:42 PM