Accessing your backed up files remotely on WHS. RRS feed

• Question

• This is the deal. I'm normally on the road.
    My computer is backed up in WHS that sits at home. The challenge is, I can't access my files remotely using the homeserver web site: View Backup does not work from the browser (as it can't mount the driver to access the backup file).
    So, i'm at lost, as I can't access key files i have in a directory in my backed up computer.

Is that a way to replicate a directory into the shared folder when backing up (e.g. the backup procedure would replicate 'Projects' into the user directory)? Or is that a way to open/view/access the backed up file remotely? or copy parts of it?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

D. A.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:17 AM

Answers

• There is no supported way to do what you're looking for (as far as i know, nobody has even come up with an unsupported way). The backup tool doesn't export anything into the shares, and (because of the way the database is designed) probably can't do so. And trying to open a backup from a remote location would normally take many hours.

A workaround: use the Remote Access site on your server to connect to a computer on your home network using Remote Desktop. Then open the backup using that computer, and copy the file or files you need to the shares from there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:59 PM