New to MSF - Question about central and remote Database schemas RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how closely the two schemas have to match in both the central and remote databases for sync to work properly. I have read that the columns of a table don't necessarily have to all be there with filtering, but it still sounds like the tables and columns should still be of the same name in both databases.

One reason I'm wondering is that if I'm synching from a SQL2005 database to a SQLCE, I might want the CE one to be a little more flattened out so I can get data out with a simpler SELECT statement. Is that possible, or even wise?

For example, I might have a tblCustomer, tblOrder, and tblCustomerOrder in the central database, but in the local databases I want one table with all the joined data. Can this be done?

Also,  will it be a problem if tblCustomer in the remote database has an additional column that the central database does not have? Maybe a column which is 'unaffected' by any syncing?

Thanks!

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:09 PM

Answers

• Synchronizing a subset of server columns should not be a problem.

Synchronizing the result of a join is less certain. If the synchronization is 2 way it may be difficult to correctly apply the operations sent to the server. Can you give me a more detailed example of the type of flattened data you would synchronize?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:28 PM
    Answerer