Installing microsoft GPS driver and NTP Server in WHS.. Anyone done it? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried installing the Microsoft GPS USB<>SERIAL driver in WHS?

Was thinking of installing this, along with running Tardis (in service mode) and having it do Broadcast NTP using the GPS as a time host...

Even on a home network iv run into time drama...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:34 PM

Answers

• I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The GPS cable is a generic USB-Serial converter that should be supported in all operating systems. There is no driver needed for the GPS, the software sends NMEA communications over a serial port to communicate with the GPS.

An add in that includes a time syncronization service and tab to configure the service through the console would be nice. (I might try making one for the Code2Fame Challenge.)

Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• Have you tried just running Tardis as a service, without the GPS?  If so, what problems did you run into?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Not yet.. was hoping to find out if someones done it before me..

Also was wondering if WHS would do something similar to installing an audio driver, it would install but not use it..

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:49 PM
  • I would recommend installing Tardis as a service and getting that running first.  If you can't get it to run as a service and if you can't get other PCs on your network to use your WHS server as a time source, then the entire question is rendered moot.

(rendered moot = lawyer lard)

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The GPS cable is a generic USB-Serial converter that should be supported in all operating systems. There is no driver needed for the GPS, the software sends NMEA communications over a serial port to communicate with the GPS.

An add in that includes a time syncronization service and tab to configure the service through the console would be nice. (I might try making one for the Code2Fame Challenge.)

Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Its a Prolific USB/Serial driver.. Only reason I asked rather than playing with it was I know how WHS flat out blocks audio drivers even if they are installed. It will install but not be used.. Truth be told you *must* use the MS version of the driver or the thing doesnt seem to wake up reliably.. but thats a moot point.. Ill try installing Tardis as a service later this week.. Like to see both work, would solve all my NTP problems in one go... (yes iv run into pcs on a home network not having quite the right time having issues esp if sending outgoing mail via POP...

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:57 PM
  • BTW Id be very interested in beta'ing an add on...if you write one Wink

You do seem to need the MS version of the Prolific driver to "wake up" the GPS on the serial port and to spit out NMEA (tried the generic one on XP, didnt work, been told the generic one "MAY" work on Vista however (dont ask me why on this)

Heck if i can get the service to run, I might get one of those network clocks... Not exactly "home use" but i think it would rock Wink

Nothing irks me more than the wrong time....

(has a few WWIV clocks in his house, along with his Sirius radio (sat clock), and the cable box (again another self-set clock)

-John

Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:01 PM