Website Not Being Indexed despite doing all the right things RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. This website has been up for over half a year and is still not being indexed by MSN Live Search.

www.brisbanehipclinic.com.au

Very strange because we've done the following:

1. Coded it using proper CSS and XHTML standards

2. Done all the right things to make sure that the text/keywords are properly displayed to search engines

3. Ensured no blocking is being done on MSN

3. Submitted the site to MSN Link Submitter once per month

4. Added the stie into Live Webmaster Tools and done the proper site validations

5. Uploaded a /sitemap.xml file listing all the important pages

6. Setup inbound links from several pages (but admittedly this is probably the weakest point right now). These links are definitely getting found by MSN because when doing a search for the "brisbane hip clinic", the number one search result is in a website directory where they are listed.

And, last but not least, the site is ranking on page 1 of Google and Yahoo for several keywords... so why not "any" listing in MSN?

[update] I just noticed that the Webmaster Tools shows "last crawled[ed]" n/a, and has no data for the site (despite it being in there for a few months. So it's obviously to do with Live searchbot not crawling the site. Anyway we can queue the crawler manually?

Thanks to anybody that can offer advice (or a link to this site).

Thanks.

Redwebman.

Monday, December 8, 2008 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay. It looks like we now have 15 pages indexed:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Abrisbanehipclinic.com.au%2F&src=IE-SearchBox

Are you noticing any difference?

In regards to my role here, I am the primary moderator of these forums and in a way, I am an ambassador for webmasters to the various teams that make up Live Search. I've gone to bat for webmasters that have been banned, I outline recurrent issues that are emerging, provide SEO guidance, help remove web pages from our index for webmasters, and in general, try to assist in whatever way possible. There are some issues, especially when it comes to the search algorithm, I have no control over except to point out potential problems using our internal feedback tools. This has helped in some instances such as yours which boiled down to the redirect not being fully recognized, has not helped in others.

Brett

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• I assume you mean "Last Crawled" not "Last Indexed"...?

This forum is full of people reporting sites that have not been crawled regularly or at all.  I have one that has never been crawled although I submitted it back in September.

If your site is not being blocked, I would suggest re-submitting it, and crossing your fingers.

... Duane

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Yes, I meant crawled. It's been resubmitted many times. There's obviously some other problem.

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

It is likely that this site is not passing our duplicate content filters due to brisbanehipclinic.com.

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for the input regarding your statement "It is likely that this site is not passing our duplicate content filters due to brisbanehipclinic.com. "

My response to that is that it's not duplicate content. The domain you reference is "redirecting" to the primary domain. It is neither mirroring, nor trying to duplicate content. There is one primary domain (www.brisbanehipclinic.com.au), with other domain name redirecting users incase they type in the incorrect URL.

This is common practice. In the same way that if you type in www.msn.com.au, it redirects to www.ninemsn.com.au.

Why should a common sense redirection practice bar a site from being indexed?

Thanks for your assistance.

Redwebman

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:12 PM
  • So it is (redirected).  My apologies. How long has this been in place? I ask because the issue stands that we have brisbanehipclinic.com in our index instead of the .au domain. It is very unlikely that we would have done this if it was redirected.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Abrisbanehipclinic.com&src=IE-SearchBox

All that aside, let's see what we can do about fixing this issue. How long has it been since the site was last crawled by MSNbot?

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Hi again Brett,

Since my last response I've been doing some research. Seems like a lot of people globally are complaining about MSN not following 301 redirects properly.

If needed, we can create a landing page for www.brisbanehipclinic.com and simply do a metarefresh. Would this work better?

Thanks for your help. I'm keen to be seen doing the right thing. This website is a good resource for information regarding Orthopaedics conditions and procedures, specifically Hip related. Notably, we've worked hard on creating many pages of good unique content.

It's a shame MSN has blacklisted it where Google and Yahoo! see it as a high value website.

Thanks,

R.

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Don't get me wrong. We have not blacklisted this site. You are not banned at all. There is no problem with the redirect except for the fact that at one point in time, you must have had both running without a redirect and MSN chose to use the .com version instead of the .com.au. IMO, the last thing you would want to do is create a landing page or use a meta refresh. I am willing to work with you to get this taken care of the right way, but this is going to take a little while to sort out.   

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Ok, just from the fact that the domain is not registered at all in msn searches led me to believe this. But that's good to know.

I can't ever remember the ".com" variant being a standalone account, since we registered it solely for the purpose of redirecting to the primary domain.

Thanks for your offer of help. What do I need to do to sort this out then? As I mentioned earlier, I was observing this problem for quite a number of months and have been resubmitting with correct url, inputting proper sitemap.xml file, creating back links to the ".com.au" variant (and still doing so on a monthly basis)... Is there a reinclusion tool I can use?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Hi Brett,

Sorry about that, I someohow missed your previous post from you.

To answer your question, the site (according to Webmaster Tools) has never been crawled.

Regards,

Tim

(redwebman)

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I'm doing a little more research on this issue and will post back when I have more information. This might take awhile, but we should be able to get it worked out.

are you using a standard 301 redirect? Also, how old is your site?

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Hi Brett,

The website was launched approximately around May of this year.

To answer your questions,
    yes, the other domain is a standard 301 redirect to the primary domain. I've just checked back into the 'Webmaster Tools' and it's still showing "Last crawled: N/A" on the primary domain.

For my own clarification, what is your role within MSN Live Search and how are you able to assist?

Thanks and regards,
    Tim
    Rwm.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:38 AM
  • Even this thread is racing up the rankings for the term 'brisbanehipclinic.com.au'.
    http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=brisbanehipclinic.com.au&form=QBLH

Whereas the website itself (brisbanehipclinic.com.au) can't even get crawled....

(the Webmasters Tools site is showing "Last Crawled: N/A")

No-one has explained to me what's going wrong or what can be done to fix it. Can someone help me out here?!...

Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay. It looks like we now have 15 pages indexed:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Abrisbanehipclinic.com.au%2F&src=IE-SearchBox

Are you noticing any difference?

In regards to my role here, I am the primary moderator of these forums and in a way, I am an ambassador for webmasters to the various teams that make up Live Search. I've gone to bat for webmasters that have been banned, I outline recurrent issues that are emerging, provide SEO guidance, help remove web pages from our index for webmasters, and in general, try to assist in whatever way possible. There are some issues, especially when it comes to the search algorithm, I have no control over except to point out potential problems using our internal feedback tools. This has helped in some instances such as yours which boiled down to the redirect not being fully recognized, has not helped in others.

Brett

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Hi Brett,

I can see in Webmaster Tools that the site has been crawled now. The 'Tools' admin is showing no problems in regards to any crawling issues. And indeed, the domain now appears in the Live.com search engine, but only under its "domain name" as a keyword.

Unfortunately, the site does not rank at all for any "real" keywords/phrases (eg, hip surgery brisbane), but I assume since MSN Live has only recently started crawling the site, it may take a little while for the keywords to be properly processed and indexed within the MSN search engine database.

Thanks for your assistance with getting this resolved. I was literally days away from creating a 'doorway' page at the '.com' domain name, in an attempt to at least get that domain ranked in MSN Live.

Thanks for clarifying your role. Sounds quite challenging, particularly when the Live search system is not performing as it should. But once again, thank you for your assistance with raising the 'redirect' issue internally.  Good luck with Live.com. It would be good to see a viable competitor to Google who's advertising prices have skyrocketed over the past 2 years due to it's dominance in the search engine market.

Regards,
    Redwebman.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 1:38 AM