none
both users and developers be glad you dont live in the dark ages of computing RRS feed

• Question

• My summer school job was tube replacement ( yup diodes and triodes).  I will tell You this cause i was there.  That computer ran for 46 minutes and average was 15 to 20.  If you hear different dont belive them.  I did get to see some of the out put.  a decimal point with over a hundred places behind it.  Then Wheee Bell labs discovered the transistor. I swore when i got out of the navy i would try to work with them.  Barf they no more knew what to do with it than well that dosent matter now.  IBM, HP, Motorola, and even Sperry Rand knew what to do with it.  Needless to say ; yup i went to work for Ma Bell.  Guess who's computer they used?  Well does fold, spindle, mutlate, and the great programming language hollerith mean anything to you?  How about raymac, 340, 350, or the unproven 360,  we proved that it couldnt run 24/7.  The 370 finally could stand it.  I retired when we were using the 380.  Finally we could have more than 200 access terminals.  Maybe I will add more later. 
    hmmm part 2 later

thank you all for reading this
    John W Holmes  
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:43 AM

All replies