QA environment for CRM 4.0 with production data RRS feed

• Question

• We have a requirement to setup a QA environment to match the production data.  We have programs referring to the production organization name.  Can we use the same organization name but use a different app and db server, different site.  Since the system users in both the environment will be the same, should we disable the workflow.  Can we setup different mailbox and route the mails from the QA environment?  Thanks for the inputs.

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:38 PM

Answers

• What you can do is backup your production database and restore it to a seperate QA environment (on its own app and db server). This restored database can be imported into CRM. This posting explains the process in more detail: http://www.wipfli.com/BlogPost_MCRM_Blog_8_12_09.aspx. This will give you a duplicate environment with all the same data and setup but on its own server. Any applications pointing to the production application will not be affected. Obviously you can also copy these programs to the test environment and configure them to use the QA server if desired.

You can modify this environement as you see fit (i.e. disable workflows). But what I typically do is not install the email router or not configure outbound email, the reason for this is that all the email addresses will be the same in the production environement. Therefore if you setup the email router emails will be sent to the actual people which may not be desirable in the a QA environment. By not installing the email router CRM will create and 'send' the email but they will remain in CRM with status 'pending send', you can view these email through the CRM web interface but there is no risk of them arriving at the users.
    If you have other connections to the outside world (i.e. plugins posting to a webservice) you should also disable or redirect these.

Patrick Verbeeten
    www.patrickverbeeten.com
    www.wavextend.com

• Proposed as answer by Khaja Mohiddin Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Maduvanti Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:42 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:24 AM