How to regain control ? RRS feed

• Question

• For a while things have been OK with WHS . But for the last two days I have been unable to access the WHS console from ANY of the 3 PCs which normally give access . Always the same problem : after typing in the password I see the green bar moving and after a minute or 2 ,  I get either a blue screen or a msge saying that the server cant be accessed...

The strange thing is that nonetheless :

- backups keep being done everyday

- the icon color reacts to changes

I have de/re/installed the WHS connector .... without any result .

Can anyone help me at regaining control of my WHS ?

Thanks

Saturday, April 5, 2008 4:34 PM

Answers

• None of the suggestions worked. At the end I had no other choice than rebooting .

The end result (after having received scary msges like "all your data will be erased") was that all the backups have been lost BUT the shared files were intact . ...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:58 AM

All replies

• My guess is that your DNS on your local network doesn't know about your home server anymore.  I ran into this problem when my company required a new set of VPN software, and the software took over DNS (even when not running).

Here is how to test to see if this is the case:

Open a DOS box, and type in the following command:

>ping <myhomeserver>

where <myhomeserver> is the name of your home server.  You should see something like the following:

C:\>ping homesrv

Pinging HOMESRV [192.168.0.195] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.195: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.0.195: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.195:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Note how the HOMESRV in this example has been replaced by an IP address?    If your run doesn't show you an expected IP address, then you need to fix your local DNS.

Go look at this webpage for an overview of the process:

http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/2007/04/28/windows-home-server-client-join-troubleshoooting-hints.aspx

In my case, I had my router assign fixed IP addresses and added a line to my hosts file (trick 2 in that article).

DDanster

Saturday, April 5, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Thanks.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my prob.

Ping works and gives me the proper IP adress of WHS but at the same time the WHS console denies me the access to the server which otherwise works fine ( common files can be accessed, backups take place ...).

Saturday, April 5, 2008 5:59 PM
  • You could try resetting the Console, call the Console up, and click on "Options"  down-arrow underneath the Password box. It will list an option to reset.

Also, on the Client, navigate to the Program Files Windows Home Server folder, and run 'Discovery.exe',this will try to re-associate your Client to the server.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Have you tried rebooting your server? If you have a headless box like the HP MediaSmart server, pushing the power button in the back sends it through a shutdown. ISTR this "loss of control" happening to me a few months back & the reboot cleared it up.

HTH,
    Joe
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:30 AM
  • Thanks Joe .

Fujitsu/Siemens doc is not very clear with regards to the consequences of a reboot ; before "pressing the reboot button" I'd like to be reasonnably confident that:

- the shared data which are stored on the server wont be lost

- the backup history wont be lost either

What was your experience with rebooting ?

Sunday, April 6, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Thks Colin.

Resetting has no effect , nor has discovery .

I'm still struggling.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 5:33 AM
  • On the HP box, pushing the power button momentarily does not immediately turn it off, it gives the server a shutdown command. The server then takes a minute or two to actually shut down. This is how all of my Windows PCs (HP, Dell, IBM)  have worked for years; if I really want to power it down immediately, I need to hold the power putton in for several seconds. So, while I am not familiar with the Fujitsu-Siemens system, I would be surprised if they did not follow that protocol.

Of course, I would do my best to make sure the server is idle. Make sure the clients think no backups are in progress and there are no file copies to the server in progress.

HTH,
    Joe
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Have you tried to remote into the system?

You should be able to sign in the box either using its name or IP address.  My WHS is named Homer.

Then use the Administrator logon.

One signed on you should be able to safely reboot the machine.

Good Luck.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:01 PM
  • None of the suggestions worked. At the end I had no other choice than rebooting .

The end result (after having received scary msges like "all your data will be erased") was that all the backups have been lost BUT the shared files were intact . ...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:58 AM