Windows Vista Home Premium Invalid Product ID RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Dell computer with Windows Vista Home Premium preinstalled. I have run the Microsoft Diagnostic Tool and it reports that my Licence is genuine and valid, but the product key it shows is different to the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on my computer. Windows is activated. The operating system seems to be funtioning well and I have no problems with updates etc. However,  I tried to send an email to Microsoft under the 90-day free help and support option and when I entered my Product ID number a page was displayed saying my Product ID number was invalid and I could not proceed with the email. The Product ID number in the Diagnostic Report is the same as the Product ID number on my computer. I would like to contact Microsoft to sort out a few problems occurring in the "Event Viewer", but I have tried several times and each time it says that my Product ID number is invalid. Please, can this issue be resolved?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 1:27 AM

Answers

• If you purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista preinstalled by Dell, then Dell, and not Microsoft, is responsible for support issues.  Please contact Dell Support for assistance.

Welcome to Dell Technical Support!

http://support.dell.com/

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:38 PM
  • When Dell installs a Windows Vista operating system at the factory, they use a master image and product key.  That product key is indeed a genuine one and does not have to match the one shown on the COA affixed to your Dell PC.

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:00 PM
  •  

Anne:

Support for OEM PC's are officially managed by the manufacturer from which you purchased the PC (in this case, Dell). www.support.microsoft.com has stated your PC is not allowed to recieve free support as it is not a retail PC (it is an OEM PC from Dell). The "Invalid PID" is labeled there as your PC isn't a valid supported system under license agreement from Dell.

Reinstalling your operating system with the Dell recovery media, unfortunately, will not resolve this issue.

I would suggest inquiring with Dell as to their factory settings and the inconsistencies you see in "Event Viewer".

-phil

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:50 PM

All replies

• If you purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista preinstalled by Dell, then Dell, and not Microsoft, is responsible for support issues.  Please contact Dell Support for assistance.

Welcome to Dell Technical Support!

http://support.dell.com/

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Hi Carey,

I have contacted Dell three times for support and their response is to send me another Windows Vista Home Premium installation CD with another product key, and I am expected to re-install the operating system. I can't seem to make them understand that it is not the product key that is invalid, but the product ID that is invalid. They don't seem to know the difference. I really don't want to have to re-install the operating system unless it is absolutely necessary. The one I already have installed is working just fine except for the problem with the product ID. I have a number of repeating errors and warnings in the Event Viewer Log, details of which I have forwarded to "Event Online Help", but I get "No results found". I am not sure what these events are or if they need to be corrected, which is why I tried to contact Microsoft. I have asked Dell to explain why my product ID is invalid, but they have not offered me an explanation. Can you explain why my product ID is invalid, and if there is any way to correct it without having to re-install the operating system? Also because Windows Vista Home Premium was already installed on my computer by Dell does this mean that I cannot get help and support from Microsoft?

Regards.

Monday, August 20, 2007 2:32 PM
  • When Dell installs a Windows Vista operating system at the factory, they use a master image and product key.  That product key is indeed a genuine one and does not have to match the one shown on the COA affixed to your Dell PC.

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hi again, Thank you for the info. Dell have sent me another Windows Vista Home Premium installation CD with a new product key. Would you please tell me if I can change the product key on the existing installation and use the new product key sent to me by Dell, and will this solve the problem, or do I have to completely reinstall the operating system using the new CD and product key sent to me by Dell? I have asked Dell this question, but they have not responded to my question. They are suggesting that I reinstall the operating system, which I would rather avoid if possible. I would really appreciate your advice on this, as I don't seem to be getting much joy from contacting Dell. Thank you.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:00 PM
  •  

Anne:

Support for OEM PC's are officially managed by the manufacturer from which you purchased the PC (in this case, Dell). www.support.microsoft.com has stated your PC is not allowed to recieve free support as it is not a retail PC (it is an OEM PC from Dell). The "Invalid PID" is labeled there as your PC isn't a valid supported system under license agreement from Dell.

Reinstalling your operating system with the Dell recovery media, unfortunately, will not resolve this issue.

I would suggest inquiring with Dell as to their factory settings and the inconsistencies you see in "Event Viewer".

-phil

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:50 PM