WHS mirorring question RRS feed

• Question

• Im running a software raid 1 on my WHS with dual 500gb. i have the raid setup successfully and is operating great. The issue im having is that the home server console is still seeing it as 2 seperate drives. The second hd shows up as "not added". is there a way to make the console show the correct configuration or just show 1 drive? Perhaps a registry hack? im not here to discuss the politics of raid vs drive extending or duplication. any help would be greatly apreciated. thnks, joe
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:08 PM

Answers

• The short answer is that you should break your software array, or rebuild your server with a RAID controller instead of using software RAID.

WHS itself doesn't support RAID. It's certainly possible to install on a RAID controller (my first server was built with a hardware-accelerated RAID controller), and many people have had success that way, but it's still unsupported. However, software RAID is managed by the operating system. Since the disks appear individually in the Disk Management MMC snap-in, they will appear as separate disks in the console. You are unlikely to find a way around this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:01 PM