How can I have multigenerational sets of backup under OneCare? RRS feed

• Question

• As an old school data processing type, I have the habit of maintaining son, father, & grandfather sets of backups. Is this possible with OneCare?
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:30 PM

Answers

• You can do this by starting a new full backup periodically. You can't do it automatically, I'm afraid.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:19 AM

All replies

• You can do this by starting a new full backup periodically. You can't do it automatically, I'm afraid.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:19 AM
  • When you configure OneCare's Backup, it scans for new or CHANGED files. This led me to believe that the next time I did a backup, it would only do an incremental backup of the changed files, not a full backup.
    Thanks for your help.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Yes, you are correct. In case I wasn't clear, when you do your first backup with OneCare, it backs up all files matching its filter in the valid locations for backup from. Each subsequent backup updates the catalog and adds new and changed files to the backup set.

When you start a new, full backup, you are "abandoning" the current set and starting over. If you perform this new, full backup on a different location - a new external disk or a different network Share, for example - you now have a new generation, with the older generation preserved.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:17 PM