Adding 2nd computer to Live Care RRS feed

• Question

•   I have 1 computer on live care with 7 months left on subscription. I tried to add a 2nd, but it keeps trying to get me to buy it at $49 again. It put a 15 day free trial on instead. How do I add the 2nd computer for free! Thanks

Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• ScottieV,

Open onecare on your 2nd machine. Click Subscribe, when asked for the Live ID, use the Live ID or the subscription email address you used on your first machine. That will activate the 2nd computers onecare under your active subscription.

To check what Live ID you have used on the first computer.

Open OneCare

Click Help > About Windows Live OneCare

Check for the subscription ID

Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:03 PM

All replies

• ScottieV,

Open onecare on your 2nd machine. Click Subscribe, when asked for the Live ID, use the Live ID or the subscription email address you used on your first machine. That will activate the 2nd computers onecare under your active subscription.

Open OneCare

Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:03 PM
  •  Wenskie wrote:

ScottieV,

Open OneCare

I have tried to add ONECARE to my second PC and currently it states that my subscription will en in 15 days.

I boight this product and I can't fot the life of me figure out how to add it to the second PC. 

The oriiginal PC we installed this is with my daughter at college.

I don't think I will be renewing

Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:51 PM
  • ScottieV,

Have you opened onecare on the second computer?

Is a SUBSCRIBE button available?

The onecare that is installed in your second computer is the trial version.

You have to SUBSCRIBE on it using the Live ID you have used on the first computer.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Sophie, you need to contact your daughter to obtain the LiveID and password for the subscription so that you can subscribe/activate on your PC. On her PC, open OneCare, click Help/About to see the subscription LiveID.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Steve,

I will get in touch with her.  I hope she can remember the LIVE ID and password. If she can't then what?

Honestly this is so time consuming.

The retailer that sold and installed this product onto her computer never mentioned how important this LIVE ID was.

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:01 AM
  •  Sophied wrote:

Steve,

I will get in touch with her.  I hope she can remember the LIVE ID and password. If she can't then what?

Honestly this is so time consuming.

The retailer that sold and installed this product onto her computer never mentioned how important this LIVE ID was.

Hi, SophieD.

When Circuit City installed OneCare and "delivered" the PC to you, the tech should have provided a sheet of paper that included the LiveID and password that they used for activation. If you and your daughter do not have the ID or if you have the ID, but not the password, your easiest solution may be to purchase a retail copy of OneCare (Best Buy currently has it on sale for under $25, while a renewal from Microsoft is the full retail price of $49.95 for a year).

Since you need to activate on your PC, go ahead and subscribe/activate with *your* LiveID - either existing or a new one - and select the option during activation to subscribe with a retail key or PIN. Use the key from inside the box behind the CD holder to activate.

Once your daughter's subscription expires, have her uninstall OneCare, reinstall from http://onecare.live.com and activate/subscribe using the LiveID that you used to activate your new subscription.

Alternatively, you can contact support to see if they can reset the password for the LiveID that was used on your daughter's PC and then activate on your PC.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:04 PM