Computer tab missing in console RRS feed

• Question

• I had difficulty gaining access to the EX485 console starting yesterday. I began receiving an error message WHS experienced a problem with a feature. To open WHS without the feature press Skip (or Retry). Skip after a long pause gains re-entry, but the Computer tab is missing.

I reinstalled WHS twice, removed all of the add-ins, and am still having the problem. I'm on Windows 7 with all latest updates. Don't know what to try next. Suggestions?

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• You mean you reinstalled the connector, not the server I assume. Since the console represents a remote session to the server, there is not much you can do on the client besides trying to reset the console in the Options dialog below the password field.

Did you try to use Remote Desktop to connect to the server and start the console from there? If it has the same issue here, check the event log of the server for more error details (in Control Panel/Administrative tools).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 23, 2010 9:23 PM
  • In addition to Olaf's suggestion, you can try restarting your server, then if the same message comes up select retry.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:17 PM
  • If you can Remote Desktop in, try running Regedit and take a look at the key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Home Server Console. There is a subkey called BlockedDllList and the actual name of the DLL is there if you were unable to open the Console.

All of the log files are in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs. You might be able to find a clue there.

I'd make sure you are up to date on all WHS updates.

I had this problem a few times and it is really annoying, especially when the offending tab changes each time! I never completely pinned it down (I did a Server Recovery for other reasons) but I think it may have had something to do with slow disk access - maybe if a DLL can't load within a certain time, it times out and fails.

Echoing what Ken said earlier, I had some luck with selecting Retry rather than Skip.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Actually I did a server reinstall twice, not the install that wipes out the drive, rather the one that just overwrites the server (pin inserted to reset the server). Well, the Options dialog reset has restored the Computer tab. I just hope that I do not see this problem re-occur any time soon.

I really appreciate all of your time and suggestions in assisting me with this vexing problem. I had even tried rolling back to the original version of ex485, with the disks that came with the product, but was foiled with that as the dialog box that appeared only offered to reinstall the present and latest version. Is there a means to either rollback the server, or as in Windows 7 create a System State backup to disk/usb or the computer drive?

Best regards,

Joe

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi Joe,

unfortunately the System Restore functionality is not part of Windows Home Server and other Server OS. Also a system backup would not work well, due to the changes in the registry and associated structures/IDs on the DATA volumes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:01 PM