Backup strategy question RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS up and running and want to backup to locally attached DLT Drive.

As yet I have not added any Client Computers.

There are zero entries on the Computers Window.

Should the WHS become a client of WHS to allow automatic Backup?

Will I be able to configure WHS Backup to make use of the DLT Tape Drive?

Regards

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:28 AM

Answers

•  loloaqic wrote:
    I have WHS up and running and want to backup to locally attached DLT Drive.

You need to install the connector software on a 32-bit OS client PC in order for them to show up in the console.  (64-bit is not currently supported)

loloaqic wrote:

No, that's not possible.

loloaqic wrote:

No, WHS backs up the client PCs to available storage space on the server.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:57 AM
  • In addition to the information that kariya21 has provided, you should be aware that most backup products will not work with files stored in the WHS shares or system folders on D:, due to the way that Drive Extender manages files. You can manually copy files out of the shares, but e.g. NTBackup will only get the reparse point, not the file behind it. So you will almost certainly not be able to use your DLT drive effectively.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

•  loloaqic wrote:
    I have WHS up and running and want to backup to locally attached DLT Drive.

You need to install the connector software on a 32-bit OS client PC in order for them to show up in the console.  (64-bit is not currently supported)

loloaqic wrote:

No, that's not possible.

loloaqic wrote:

No, WHS backs up the client PCs to available storage space on the server.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:57 AM
  • In addition to the information that kariya21 has provided, you should be aware that most backup products will not work with files stored in the WHS shares or system folders on D:, due to the way that Drive Extender manages files. You can manually copy files out of the shares, but e.g. NTBackup will only get the reparse point, not the file behind it. So you will almost certainly not be able to use your DLT drive effectively.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Given the fact how WHS uses the DE, what would be your recommendation for back-up of all non-system files of the WHS periodically? my setup  includes two disks so i am not too concerned over total loss, but it would feel better to have a back-up done once in a while. I have a spare 1Tb Lacie USB drive. Do you suggest a simple file transfer to that disk? How do i connect it without tge standard re-formatting happening - over the network or directly?

Cheers,

Bo

Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:39 AM
  • If you install Power Pack 1 (should have installed automatically if you have Automatic Updates turned on) the when you add a drive to the server using the WHS Console you'll get an additional option, to add it as a server backup drive. If you choose that, you will then see the server itself listed on the Computers tab, and will be able to trigger a backup of all or selected shares. If you want to take your backup drive off-site, you can remove it temporarily from the server using the console; if you do that it will be automatically re-added when you reconnect it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Hello,

I have the PP1 upgrade and has backed up my shared drives several times with no problems.  Question:  Is there a way to set the server to backup the share drives automatically as it does the client PCs?  Mine seems to be via manual only.

silkrod
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:00 PM
  • No, server backup can only be done manually. If you have a reasonable level of technical proficiency, you can use a tool like robocopy or SyncToy to back up to an external drive (one not in the storage pool, and not added as a backup drive) on a schedule.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by SilkRod Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:45 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:53 PM