CRM Licensing of Organisations RRS feed

• Question

• CRM licensing is done by Server and CAL's right (in a basic setup)

What if you have 2 organisations in your environment but accessed by the same set of users. Technically this is not using a different server so there should be no license costs there and there are no new users so there should be no licensing costs there.

Am I correct in my assumptions or does Microsoft have a special clause for this scenario?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:54 AM

Answers

• My understanding has always been that if a User has a CAL, and the user is using the same AD account to connect to multiple Orgs (eg Dev, UAT, Live), then they do not need additional CALs for the additional Orgs.

Whether the Orgs are on the same server or saame deployment (multi-tenant) or even a completely different deployment is not important.

If you do use multiple servers for the same or different deployments, you need a server licence for each one.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

• Proposed as answer by RuneDaub Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Troy Adams Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:26 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• My understanding has always been that if a User has a CAL, and the user is using the same AD account to connect to multiple Orgs (eg Dev, UAT, Live), then they do not need additional CALs for the additional Orgs.

Whether the Orgs are on the same server or saame deployment (multi-tenant) or even a completely different deployment is not important.

If you do use multiple servers for the same or different deployments, you need a server licence for each one.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

• Proposed as answer by RuneDaub Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Troy Adams Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:26 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Thanks Adam, I hope you are right. Especially if Microsoft come around and do an audit.
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:16 AM