Problem copying large files - network not available or path is too deep RRS feed

• Question

• I am having terrible problems trying to copy large files, anything larger than a gig or so, to my WHS. I do not seem to have the same problems copying smaller files of approximately 800mb or less, although it does slowdown during to copy.

But with anything above 1.4gb or so, it seems to fail. It puts the system in a slowdown mode and then generally leads to a lost network connect (forget the exact error). I tried to follow other threads on this same symptoms with no luck. They talked about everything from changing network packet sizes to removing drives to shutting down various services.

I tried the obvious recommendations like turning off folder duplication and media sharing. But those really did not help at all.

So I tried attaching an external USB drive directly to the WHS. With that I started getting the error "cannot copy filename: The path is too deep." messages. Neither the filename nor the path it is going to are particularly long so I think that is an erroneous message.

Some general observations:

A 2mb file transfers so fast you won't even see a status bar.

All files generally begin to transfer at excellent speeds, 20mb or above, and then slow down to a crawl on larger files.

These next observations are likely to be purely coincidental, but I figured I offer them anyway. Often the file type sometimes appears to make a difference. Media file types that are not recognized on the server almost always seem to go through faster.

And the problem seems to get worse the more data is transferred. If I wait 20 seconds between transferring medium size files, they seem to go smoothly most of the time. If I do one right after another they tend to begin to bog down.

The server, source, and router are all 1gb.

The server has 4 physical drives between 1 and 1.5gb

Any suggestions? Not being able to get the files onto the server is going to be a show stopper for me with WHS.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:34 PM

All replies

• I am having terrible problems trying to copy large files, anything larger than a gig or so, to my WHS. I do not seem to have the same problems copying smaller files of approximately 800mb or less, although it does slowdown during to copy.

But with anything above 1.4gb or so, it seems to fail. It puts the system in a slowdown mode and then generally leads to a lost network connect (forget the exact error). I tried to follow other threads on this same symptoms with no luck. They talked about everything from changing network packet sizes to removing drives to shutting down various services.

I tried the obvious recommendations like turning off folder duplication and media sharing. But those really did not help at all.

So I tried attaching an external USB drive directly to the WHS. With that I started getting the error "cannot copy filename: The path is too deep." messages. Neither the filename nor the path it is going to are particularly long so I think that is an erroneous message.

Some general observations:

A 2mb file transfers so fast you won't even see a status bar.

All files generally begin to transfer at excellent speeds, 20mb or above, and then slow down to a crawl on larger files.

These next observations are likely to be purely coincidental, but I figured I offer them anyway. Often the file type sometimes appears to make a difference. Media file types that are not recognized on the server almost always seem to go through faster.

And the problem seems to get worse the more data is transferred. If I wait 20 seconds between transferring medium size files, they seem to go smoothly most of the time. If I do one right after another they tend to begin to bog down.

The server, source, and router are all 1gb.

The server has 4 physical drives between 1 and 1.5gb

Any suggestions? Not being able to get the files onto the server is going to be a show stopper for me with WHS.

What is the full path and file name you are trying to copy?  Have you checked to see if there are updated drivers for your NIC?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:15 PM