Can't activate XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Just installed XP pro on a spare PC using the CD and key from my dead Acer laptop. When I tried to activate it failed. I selected the telephone option and was told the installation is "invalid" and was transfered to an operative who basically said the same thing and the only thing I can do is re-install. I don't really want to install again, I've juat spent over an hour installing it! Anyone any idea why this wont activate. Output from daignostic tool below.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YFQ27-26CJF-K77CY
    Windows Product Key Hash: OwdpgvUQ+SNgBIsfxVaIPX84i/4=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2256454-45204
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {4AC9C771-C7E6-4C6D-B136-AF4A3D388083}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4AC9C771-C7E6-4C6D-B136-AF4A3D388083}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K77CY</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2256454-45204</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-854245398-1957994488</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VT8367-8235</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20030917000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3F423D6F01842059</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thanks

Mike

Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:13 PM

Answers

• MikeaK,

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed, and that license cannot be moved to another computer (unlike the retail license, which can be moved from one computer to another).

For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component that defines a computer.  Therefore, an OEM license cannot be moved from one motherboard to another.

There is on exception to the above policy, and that is to accommodate a situation where the original motherboard was replaced because it was defective.

So, under the circumstances you describe, ie moving the license that came with an Acer laptop to another computer after the Acer laptop dies, you would not be allowed to move the original OEM license for XP from your old Acer computer to any other computer.  When the Acer dies, its license for XP died right along with it.

To read your Acer OEM End User Licensing Agreement, click Start>Run, type winver, click OK, and in the resultant dialog box, click on the End User Licensing Agreement link.

Please purchase a full retail license or a systembuilder/OEM license for the computer you want to install XP on.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:04 AM
  • MikeaK,

"I'm not trying to rip off the OS I just want to use what I paid for!"

And you received exactly what you paid for, an OEM license for XP.  The reason the OEM license was only L50 (the marginal cost between the PC without and with OEM XP Pro) was because it was an OEM license and these licenses are cheaper for a reason:  they are tied to the original hardware and cannot be moved to another computer.

In retrospect, it would probably have been better for you to have purchased a Full Retail license for XP.  This would have been whatever the GBP equivalent of USD $299 at the time, but the advantage over OEM that you could have used now would have been the fact that a Full Retail license is fully allowed to be moved from one computer to another as many times as you want.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:54 PM

All replies

• MikeaK,

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed, and that license cannot be moved to another computer (unlike the retail license, which can be moved from one computer to another).

For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component that defines a computer.  Therefore, an OEM license cannot be moved from one motherboard to another.

There is on exception to the above policy, and that is to accommodate a situation where the original motherboard was replaced because it was defective.

So, under the circumstances you describe, ie moving the license that came with an Acer laptop to another computer after the Acer laptop dies, you would not be allowed to move the original OEM license for XP from your old Acer computer to any other computer.  When the Acer dies, its license for XP died right along with it.

To read your Acer OEM End User Licensing Agreement, click Start>Run, type winver, click OK, and in the resultant dialog box, click on the End User Licensing Agreement link.

Please purchase a full retail license or a systembuilder/OEM license for the computer you want to install XP on.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

Took a while to get back due to Christmas, but that did give me a while to talk to people "in the know". So while it seems that the above post is the legal situation, here are some thoughts from a PAYING customer.

I bought the laptop with XP installed - agreed. However I have paid for this software, the laptop was approx £50 cheaper without it. It may have been discounted but I have still PAID for it.

It seems that software I paid for approx 18 months ago is no longer mine to use.

It is not possible to read the EULA until the laptop is unpacked and booted for the first time. Yes I know there is a paper copy in with the CD that you don't need to use the laptop for the first time. I don't know how things work in US but you wouldn't get far in the UK trying return it to PC World with all the packaging opened because you dont agree with the EULA!

I'm not trying to rip off the OS I just want to use what I paid for!

Maybe MS wouldn't have such a problem with piracy if they didn't treat paying customers like this.

OK rant over. The good thing about taking the time to talk to people about this is an alternative was presented. I was given a debian cd by friend of a friend "try this it may be ok for you if not pass it on" she said. So after acouple of days I put it in and it installed with no problems. All my hardware worked straight of (XP didn't work my sound card untill after updates). I can surf the web, do email, play mp3 cds in fact I havn't found anything it doesn't do yet and thats without having to buy Office etc.

Moral of this story is treat your paying customers better if you want to keep them! I have 5 PCs in the house for me the wife and the kids all running legit copies of XP. When MS drop support for XP (or maybe sooner) we will not be ugrading to Vista we will move to Debian. Also I think we will go down the PS3 road rather than XBox.

Regards

Mike

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:56 AM
  • MikeaK,

"I'm not trying to rip off the OS I just want to use what I paid for!"

And you received exactly what you paid for, an OEM license for XP.  The reason the OEM license was only L50 (the marginal cost between the PC without and with OEM XP Pro) was because it was an OEM license and these licenses are cheaper for a reason:  they are tied to the original hardware and cannot be moved to another computer.

In retrospect, it would probably have been better for you to have purchased a Full Retail license for XP.  This would have been whatever the GBP equivalent of USD $299 at the time, but the advantage over OEM that you could have used now would have been the fact that a Full Retail license is fully allowed to be moved from one computer to another as many times as you want.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:54 PM