RC: Feedback & Performance RRS feed

• Question

• Just a few comments and observations...

I installed RC yesterday, and am very pleased to report not one single issue (sorry to the guys with problems - I'm not trying to suggest your problems don't exist).

The install process went smoothly, I had the drivers for my RAID controllers on a USB stick and WHS install found them, then the drives.  A slight issue is that not all drives are displayed as the window is too small, I have 10 drives and it only showed the first 4 (and their existing CTP partitions).  This could be confusing for inexperienced users as they may think the install hasn't detected all their drives - obvious questions are will inexperienced users be installing on a system with more than 4 or 5 drives though?!

After that the installation process allowed the option of a new installation or server reinstall (obviously the latter to recover for RC, not upgrade CTP).  Also plenty of feedback on cleaning the existing disks before proceeding was given.

Other than that the installation was straightforward with no issues or anything of note to report.

Once installed and configured my data was pulled from the backup stores.  What I have noticed here is an exceptional increase in performance.  Remote Desktop to the WHS and using the Connector is really improved and far more responsive.  Typically I am getting the same sort of response when I have 8 file transfers underway at once as I was getting with 1 or 2 transfers under the previous CTP build.

There were a number of Windows Updates available for WHS.  The IE7 update requires user intervention - and validation - how will these deployments work when released on a headless device when users are expected to use the Connector and not Remote Desktop?

Livenode configured fine and remote access is working as it should.

I do need to try the connector on a few more machines to get a mix of Vista, XP, laptop, desktop, wired, wireless and get some backups underway.

Overall though, so far, no issues and I've been really impressed with the polishing to the interface during the install process and the increased performance I am experiencing.

Well done!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:53 AM

Answers

• The IE7 update works fine via the connector console! I had a red critical network warning, clicked on it, and it said there were updates to download and install. So I pressed the button to do it, and up came the IE7 install boxes. All worked fine without needing to remote desktop into the server.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:10 PM

All replies

• The IE7 update works fine via the connector console! I had a red critical network warning, clicked on it, and it said there were updates to download and install. So I pressed the button to do it, and up came the IE7 install boxes. All worked fine without needing to remote desktop into the server.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Thanks Richard.  That's good to know.  I was in Remote Desktop when the update took place - I didn't fancy trying a new install to check it under the Connector!!! Smile
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:25 PM