External clients are trying to contact the Domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I a trying to implement an Edge Server. As it is not yet in production, i just use a different subnet to simulate the public network. Here is a diagram of the network to help you understand : http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/148/ucfrab7.png

I am the external communicator client
    I have added in my host file : 10.254.253.15 sip.uc.fr 10.254.253.23 conf.uc.fr 10.254.253.24 av.uc.fr
    And I have set a manual configuration in my communicator : Name or the ip of the external server sip.uc.fr

Now when i try to connect, i have an error that he can't reach the server. When I analyse the network with wireshark, I notice that Communicator is trying to reach uc-dc.uc.fr which is the domain controller. And I don't understand why. All the external communication must go through the Edge server, no ?

PS : I have telnet the Access Edge port, and it is working. I have also the certificate of the certification authority (uc-dc) on my computer (I use this internal authority for all the interface)

PS2 : I have not implemented yet a Reverse Proxy, is it mandatory for this solution to work ?

I hope i have been clear ^^,

Thanks for help,
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:56 AM

Answers

• How is your external client configured to locate the Edge server, are you using Automatic Configuration or Manual?  That errors typically indicates that either the Edge server can't be located (name resolution or lookup failure) or that the server can't be communicated with.

If you are using manual configuration make sure to include the TCP port in the settings for the external server, as in "uc-edge01.uc.fr:443" assuming you are using the default listening port for Access Edge.

Also a reverse proxy is not required for the client to sign in and function; only a few feature will not work externally (i.e. address book sync, group expansion, web conferencing content download).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• How is your external client configured to locate the Edge server, are you using Automatic Configuration or Manual?  That errors typically indicates that either the Edge server can't be located (name resolution or lookup failure) or that the server can't be communicated with.

If you are using manual configuration make sure to include the TCP port in the settings for the external server, as in "uc-edge01.uc.fr:443" assuming you are using the default listening port for Access Edge.

Also a reverse proxy is not required for the client to sign in and function; only a few feature will not work externally (i.e. address book sync, group expansion, web conferencing content download).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Great it works !
    My external communicator client use a manual configuration, but I did not include the TCP port 443. Without this port, my communicator was trying to communicate with the edge server on the port 5061.
    Thanks !
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:34 AM