none
WHS remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an ongoing problem just like everyone seems to have with getting WHS to play nice with remote access.  MY situation is different than everyone else. 

I have a Netgear RP614v3 router and an LX195 WHS box.  The LX195 is connected to the router and I have 80, 443, and 4125 open on the router.  Yes, the router's firmware is update. 

I can't seem to access my WHS website outside of my network.  I continue to get the famous message: "Cannot Verify the website is accessible from the internet" with the RED X.  I have turn OFF and ON this feature, I have powercycled the LX195 and router, and I can access the WHS website locally. 

Tell me what am I doing wrong?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:32 PM

All replies

• Please use a site which performs a port test (e.g. Shields Up!) to make sure that those ports are actually accessible from the internet.

If they aren't, your ISP is probably blocking traffic on them. At that piont, your options are limited. You can try to work around the blocks, if that's the case, but you're likely to be violating your ISP's Terms Of Service and Acceptable Use policies, and you may not be able to do so anyway; some ISPs block just a few common ports, but some block large ranges.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:38 PM
  • I ran the Shields Up test.  Here are my results:

Port 80- Stealth, SU says this-

There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address

Port 443- Open

Port 4125- This port doesn't even show up but I assume it is Stealth.

So, how do I fix this problem?  Can I use a block of ports that are not detected?  Do I have to fix this in the router?  One of the points of getting WHS, I wanted to be able to open and view my WHS away from home.   Also, I wanted to use it kinda like an FTP server where I can transfer documents and files. 

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:02 AM
  • I have a Netgear RP614v3 router and an LX195 WHS box.  The LX195 is connected to the router and I have 80, 443, and 4125 open on the router.  Yes, the router's firmware is update. 

Port 80- Stealth, SU says this-

There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address

Port 443- Open

Port 4125- This port doesn't even show up but I assume it is Stealth.

These two statements are mutually exclusive. Check your router Port Forwarding again and make sure they are forwarded to your Server IP address (ideally fixed). If that does not work it may be that your ISP blocks Port 80 as stated by Ken above.

ShieldsUp tests the first 1024 Ports only so will not test Port 4125 - you need to enter that Port manually as a single port scan to test it..

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Since port 443 shows as open, and port 80 shows as stealth, I'm betting your ISP blocks all inbound traffic on port 80. That would result in the red X you're seeing.

Try connecting to your server from someplace like your local library or a coffee shop with free internet using e.g. https://myserver.homeserver.com. If that works, that's how you'll have to access your server's remote access web site. Also, be aware that blocking ports is usually an indication that you are not permitted by your ISP's TOS/AUP to run a server on your internet connection. You may be opening yourself up for trouble.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Ken,

You state, to try a Free internet place like Coffee shop or library but I still would be in the same boat, right?  I am not following you on this one.   I could be at Subway, which uses Optonline access points, to connect to my home server.  I still will be blocked because I have not physically moved my WHS server to another location or ISP.  I will try it today and I will update you on this one.

It is hard for me to believe that I am the ONLY Cablevision (Optonline) customer who uses a WHS or tries to use Port 80. 

My WHS uses 192......0.2 as the IP address which I don't think is Static.  I have to check on that.  I will check on my router's port forward table and provide an update.

Friday, October 14, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Ken,

I have to say, you seem to know your stuff.  Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to leave you out.  You both seem to know what you are doing.  I was just testing you. LOL!  So, I was at Subway and I tried it on my Blackberry.  Sure enough, the homepage of my WHS came up. 

So, I am still confused, why do I get the RED X if the website does actually work?  Is it something with Cablevision, my router, or WHS?

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Did you use the https: protocol, or the http: protocol, from Subway? If the https: protocol worked, it suggests that your ISP doesn't block port 443, but does block port 80. If you used the http: protocol, then it suggests something to do with your router. In any case, if it's working for you now, I would not try to replace or fix anything just because of the red X. That's a warning that the server can't complete a task, but you've completed it and can determine (as the server can't) that everything is working.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Ken,

I used HTTPs: to accesss my WHS from Subway.  So, basically don't try to fix the RED x, just leave things alone.   However, does the RED x mean something is wrong with the router configuration or WHS? 

I am one of those type of people that the RED x will bug the snot out of me until I fix it.  I know I should leave it alone and not play with it.

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I used HTTPs: to accesss my WHS from Subway.  So, basically don't try to fix the RED x, just leave things alone.   However, does the RED x mean something is wrong with the router configuration or WHS? 
    In this case, the red X means that port 80 is blocked by your ISP. When Windows Home Server tests remote access, it fails because of this, thus the red X. You can't fix it without getting your ISP to open port 80 for youe's no change you can make on your end that will correct the issue), and you'll wind up with business class service if you ask them.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:28 PM