Rerouting through GPS in Windows Live Search RRS feed

• Question

• Right now Google Maps and Windows Live Search are the best, and cheapest, navigation systems available. I love Windows Live Search, but Google Maps still does have a slightly better advantage with the actual navigation.

One thing both products don't have is rerouting using the GPS. Having the dot on the screen is nice to have and to be able to reroute (though currently it is very tedious and rather dangerous when on the road, I wish there was a simple "reroute" button in the menu since my destination usually stays the same and if it changes I should pull over to type it in anyhow) is a vital tool.

On top of the rerouting, it removes most of the usability of the GPS to not be able to see how far I am till the next turn. I'm not saying anything fancy, the maps as they currently are are great... but I'd love to just have it add in a "distance till next turn" in the map roll out on the bottom and then update to the next point when I've passed it.

This simple addition would, by far, make Windows Live Search way more valuable than Google Maps to me and I'm sure most others since it's so close to being a navigation system with everything I need, yet it falls just short with a major feature missing. I love what you guys do and can't wait to see what the future brings.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:38 PM

Answers

•  

While I haven't used google maps for navigation I have use Live Search and there is a mechanism that once you are far off your course (not a great thing) the program asks you to get directions from your new location.  The problem that I find with Live Search's rerouting is that it's totally useless.  I've been on a highway and the reroute actually had me getting off the highway and doing all sorts or crazy turns.  On top of that if you tell it to reroute and your moving fairly quickly, by the time the program accepts the reroute command you are prompted again to reroute.  Totaly useless if you ask me, still for what live search does and for the price it's still a great program.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:09 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:29 AM

All replies

•  miketwalker wrote:

One thing both products don't have is rerouting using the GPS. Having the dot on the screen is nice to have and to be able to reroute (though currently it is very tedious and rather dangerous when on the road, I wish there was a simple "reroute" button in the menu since my destination usually stays the same and if it changes I should pull over to type it in anyhow) is a vital tool.

Are you referencing reroute meaning if you get off course that it redoes the route to get you back on track?

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I believe he is.

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:30 PM
  • I agree. A feature to go onto the next turn once a turn is passed would make the software a lot easier to use while on the road.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  

While I haven't used google maps for navigation I have use Live Search and there is a mechanism that once you are far off your course (not a great thing) the program asks you to get directions from your new location.  The problem that I find with Live Search's rerouting is that it's totally useless.  I've been on a highway and the reroute actually had me getting off the highway and doing all sorts or crazy turns.  On top of that if you tell it to reroute and your moving fairly quickly, by the time the program accepts the reroute command you are prompted again to reroute.  Totaly useless if you ask me, still for what live search does and for the price it's still a great program.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:09 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:29 AM