Public IM Clouds RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everybody,

I am a bit confused with the PIC federation.
    When a PIC is established, do I (myname@myentreprisedomain.com) become a member of each network and everybody is able to add my on their contact list ?
    Or do I have to register for a MSN passport for exemple with myname@myentreprisedomain.com ?
    And inside, I can simply add a contact@hotmail.com in my Office Communicator ?

Other question, we have a local.domain.com as SIP URI, is it mandatory to change it to @domain.com, as explained in the DNS Splitting threads ?
    We do not need federation or external users, only Public IM.

Thank you very much

Guillaume
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:16 AM

Answers

• There is no need to register for each IM service as your OCS SIP address will work.  Basically a user on Windows Live Messenger would simply enter you@yourcompany.com to reach you.

There are two different formats when adding PIC users:

contact@msn.com
    username(theirdomain.com)@msn.com

For users who do not have non-MS domains associated to their WLID then you'll have to use the vanity format, as described here: http://blogs.technet.com/toml/archive/2006/10/26/how-do-you-add-a-user-that-doesn-t-have-a-passport-domain.aspx.  Not that only MSN/Live supports this while AOL and Yahoo have a set of domains suffixes they each support (e.g. @aol.com, @icq.com, @yahoo.com, etc)

Typically you want you SIP domain to match your SMTP domain, so if your AD namespace is local.domain.com but your user's email addresses are @domain.com then you should be using domain.com as well for a SIP domain.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by gsabbe Monday, April 27, 2009 1:17 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 2:10 PM

All replies

• There is no need to register for each IM service as your OCS SIP address will work.  Basically a user on Windows Live Messenger would simply enter you@yourcompany.com to reach you.

There are two different formats when adding PIC users:

contact@msn.com
    username(theirdomain.com)@msn.com

For users who do not have non-MS domains associated to their WLID then you'll have to use the vanity format, as described here: http://blogs.technet.com/toml/archive/2006/10/26/how-do-you-add-a-user-that-doesn-t-have-a-passport-domain.aspx.  Not that only MSN/Live supports this while AOL and Yahoo have a set of domains suffixes they each support (e.g. @aol.com, @icq.com, @yahoo.com, etc)

Typically you want you SIP domain to match your SMTP domain, so if your AD namespace is local.domain.com but your user's email addresses are @domain.com then you should be using domain.com as well for a SIP domain.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by gsabbe Monday, April 27, 2009 1:17 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Thank you very much
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:16 PM
  • As an additional note for Yahoo accounts with a TLD other then .com

I tried to make a connection from Communicator with an account name@yahoo.de with NO success. The solution was to use the same name in the invitation from communicator with the TLD .com (name@yahoo.com). It was not necessary to create a new yahoo account, yahoo established then the connection with the ID name@yahoo.de

Cheers
    Werner
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:39 PM