GPU Folding with WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Although it was not officially supported WHS could be persuaded to run Nvidia XP GPU drivers and then run GPU Folding.  This worked well for me since the server is always on and doesn't need to use a graphics card.

Now that WHS 2011 seems working well for me I thought I would check if I can do the same with this version.  Strangely, the Nvidia search function will not run to confirm which drivers to use, so its being blocked or can't recognize the OS.  Obviously I can do this manually but I don't want to create any big problems.

I will make a backup of the OS and then try.  I have the following options for graphics drivers, Windows 7, Vista, XP, Server 2003 all in 64 bit version. I guess Server 2003 would be a good starting point.

Anyone done this? 

Britgeezer
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:58 PM

Answers

• Use the Windows 7 drivers, if you're going to try to force drivers to install. Windows Home Server 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, which shares it's code base (mostly) with Windows 7.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BG original Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:09 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:37 PM

All replies

• Use the Windows 7 drivers, if you're going to try to force drivers to install. Windows Home Server 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, which shares it's code base (mostly) with Windows 7.
    • Marked as answer by BG original Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:09 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:37 PM

Thanks Ken -that worked and I'm now Folding on the server again - its currently my only 24/7 box. 
    Britgeezer
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:11 AM