how to retrieve hidden files in xp professional RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI could anyone tell how to retrieve hidden data files in windows xp pro?? i accidently deleted the partition of the wrong drive. as  my pc has 4 seperate hard drives. When rebooting the PC windows xp was trying to recover index files and unreadable files. Plus said it was deleting other files off this drive.

i looked at properties and seen data was on the drive, but when i went into the drive there was nothing showing. I did a back up of this drive and seen the files that were hidden being backed up. now when i restored the backup after formating the hard drive. it is saying "access denied" and it looks at the floppy drive, the file sizes are there but I cannot view to resave my data, midis and other doc and pics. some times the files do not show and looks blank but there is 2gb of files i am trying to get back. any help would be so much appreciated in this nightmare.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

•  

If the option to enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is MISSING from your Folders Options > View > Advanced Settings, find this key in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden]

Modify the string value "Type" and enter "group" as value data.

After the edit is complete hit F5 to refresh, and go look in your Folder Options.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:23 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2008 8:18 AM