Previous versions and backups in Vista and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 if you click on a file then you see the show copies of a file and eventually it will show older versions of the files from your backup.

If you have home server managing your backup, does it intergrate with the vista/win 7 Previous versions tab which is avaliable from right clicking a file/folder?  As per the built-in backup.

Many thanks.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:14 PM

Answers

• Toby:

No; not when using the normal WHS Backup mechanism.

I suppose that you could configure Windows Backup to use a folder on the WHS as the backup destination, and then you should be able to see the backups listed in the Previous Versions tab. I haven't tried this personally, but on Windows 7 you are given the opportunity to use a network location as a destination for the backup, so in theory it should work. On your Windows 7 machine, go to "Help" and type in "Backup". Select the article "Where should I save my backup?" for more information and for the fine print.

If you did it this way then you probably don't need to have WHS also backing up your PC unless you want two redundant backup mechanisms.

I'm not sure how Vista implements this. Geesh; only a few months on Windows 7 and already I'm forgetting how Vista works.
    • Marked as answer by Toby Broom Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:05 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• Toby:

I suppose that you could configure Windows Backup to use a folder on the WHS as the backup destination, and then you should be able to see the backups listed in the Previous Versions tab. I haven't tried this personally, but on Windows 7 you are given the opportunity to use a network location as a destination for the backup, so in theory it should work. On your Windows 7 machine, go to "Help" and type in "Backup". Select the article "Where should I save my backup?" for more information and for the fine print.

If you did it this way then you probably don't need to have WHS also backing up your PC unless you want two redundant backup mechanisms.

I'm not sure how Vista implements this. Geesh; only a few months on Windows 7 and already I'm forgetting how Vista works.
    • Marked as answer by Toby Broom Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:05 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Toby:

Or you could always just open last night's backup on your server and restore the file from there.  :)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:22 AM