CRM 2011: Wizard Like Form RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a new form for a CRM 2011 On-Premise application where we basically have a questionnaire that our users work through, which is currently just a little webpage. I want to develop some new in CRM to replace this website. So I was hoping a few people that may have solved a similar need in CRM, might be able to offer some guidance and suggestions.

How you would approach something like this where we need to work through a wizard like questionnaire with maybe two or three dozen questions, selects from a list of Contacts and other CRM entities, and call out to legacy systems to pull in selections, data, etc. I don't believe a simple dialog or workflow would be up to the challenge because of our need to hit web services, legacy systems, and do a lot of validations of the data such as something like...  select a date but the date cannot be less than the current date, or select a list of Contacts to associate to this new record, but we list has to be filtered based on certain field values.

The end result is just to create the record for the entity and store it in CRM. So once the wizard has been completed, the users would them just work with the record in the CRM form the same as any other CRM entity. The best approach to create the wizard is CRM, that is what I am not sure about.

My guess is to just create a custom web resource HTML page with JavaScript, then just build the wizard manually.  I can fire off the HTML page from a button on the ribbon.  But I am not sure that's the best option.  It sounds like I will have trouble calling things like the CRM built-in lookup dialog and might not be able to do so.

Any suggestions on how to best approach something like this?  Any guidance, suggestions, or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:03 PM

Answers

• I was able to just setup sections and add a prev/next/cancel button. Then in JavaScript I was able to turn off/on each section as I clicked the next/prev buttons. So it works like a wizard for me.  I was about to start working through jQuery options, but found it is pretty easy to code up each wizard page as a CRM form section and get the same basic effect. 

Jon Gregory Rothlander

• Marked as answer by jonrothlander Friday, March 6, 2015 9:53 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 9:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use HTML and javascript to build this from scratch no doubt. However there are 3rd party product with allows this like TK Dialog. You might need to write some code but not a lot so it depends upon which way you wish to go. Things to consider is always following:

1) How long will it take to write the custom HTML page for this v/s how long it will take to learn new tool?

2) Financial benefits in long term

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
     blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:18 PM
  • I was able to just setup sections and add a prev/next/cancel button. Then in JavaScript I was able to turn off/on each section as I clicked the next/prev buttons. So it works like a wizard for me.  I was about to start working through jQuery options, but found it is pretty easy to code up each wizard page as a CRM form section and get the same basic effect. 

Jon Gregory Rothlander

• Marked as answer by jonrothlander Friday, March 6, 2015 9:53 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 9:53 PM