reading .doc files with wordpad RRS feed

• Question

• wordpad in XP displays .doc files, but my vista wordpad just displays garbage. has the functionality for reading .doc files been removed from Vista wordpad?

Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• It's overkill for most cases where you want to use Wordpad but Open Office (openoffice.org) is a freeware office suite which can read .doc files (but not I think .docx files from Word 2007)

The download is like 100 MB plus 12 MB if you take the package which includes the latest version of the Java runtime so practically speaking, you don't really want to download it if you have dial-up. (You can buy CD's)

Abiword (abiword.com) is a free word processor. It's only about 5.5 Megs
    but that doesn't include some add-ons, some of which you may want. (e.g. import/export plugins for .doc files and other formats)

I'm not sure but if you have access to XP on one machine you may be able to copy it over to a Vista machine. This may be illegal but I doubt anyone cares.

But, then, if you make a DOS boot floppy disk from XP the disk will not run edlin from XP because the boot disk boots DOS from ME and edlin doesn't like that you're trying to run a it with a different version of DOS. There must be a big market in pirated edlin.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:50 PM