3 Services won't stay running. Application: SharedServiceHost.exe keeps crashing. RRS feed

• Question

• Application: SharedServiceHost.exe keeps failing and I believe that causes these three service to stop.

The Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 21 time(s).  

The Windows Server Identity Management Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 21 time(s). 

The Windows Server Server Backup Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 21 time(s).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:27 PM

All replies

• I've got the exact same problem. For me, it was from accidently disconnecting a drive. Specifically, it was a USB drive that was configured as my destination for server backups. I can get the first two services to run. But as soon as I try to start the 3rd (ie the Server Backup Service), all three die again. Di you make any progress on yours?
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:43 AM
  • I have the same problem, is there already a solution on this?
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi We ended up with doing a complete new installition. But i love to know what is the cause of this problem and how we can solve this without re-installing WHS2011
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Those three services tend to go together for some reason. For me, it is the third one (backup server service) preventing the first two (addin service and the identify service) from starting. It seems to be happening to me on a regular basis. I'm getting very annoyed. I've finally figured out that in my scenario, it is the backup catalog getting corrupted. So, as soon as you the service starts, it dies, taking the first two services with it. To clean up the corruption, you need to go to the powershell and issue a "wbadmin delete catalog". You should then be able to start up all three of the services (I usually just start the "Initalization service"). It starts them all up. Then you need to re-set up your whs 2011 backups. In theory, when you add the drive with the existing backups, it should re-create the catalog with those backups.

• Proposed as answer by gbridgett Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:39 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi, Scurrah

Delete catelog will cause data loss in this case and the server backup catalog is not corrupt. There is something wrong with the way in our code to get backup history. You can try the workaround from wiki http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx next time. By this workaround, you can still restore server from previous backups.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Add me to the list that's experiencing this same problem.

I've tried the above wiki workaround, and still no luck.

One thing I did notice, when I configured my backups, it made me pick from a drive that wasn't assigned a letter yet.  Then, it added that space as the backup drive...but never assigned it a letter.  It doesn't show up anywhere in diskmgmt.  It's like it's hidden.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not...

In any case, I can't do the wiki workaround, mainly because after I clear the logs, and then try to repair the issue, the 3 service stop again.  So when the last step has me go through the backup wizard, it won't ever run...

Please help.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Just an FYI...I figured out what *my* problem was.

It turns out, an external drive I'd had plugged in temporarily, had been assigned (from another machine) the same exact drive letter as my backup volume.  I unplugged the drive, and viola...all my backup issues cleared up.

Weird that WHS wouldn't realize the drive i just connected has a drive letter conflict, and assign it a new letter...but hey.  What do I know?
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:41 PM
  • WHS does not assign a drive letter to a Serve backup drive!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:13 PM
  • so I'm seeing this problem again.

I removed the server's backup drive...problem went away.

I added the drive back, set up backups.  Backup worked first day...then next day, these 3 services fail and I can't get them to start.

Do we have ANY more insight into this problem?  I've run chkdsk on the backup server drive...and there's no errors.  THe drive's a WD 3Tb drive, and it's brand new.

So setting up the ONE functionality WHS '11 is mainly used for, stops WHS from working?  that's awesome...

I can't really even remove the drive /backup settings anymore...because to do so, I need those 3 services running.  So I'm going to try using diskmgmt to format the drive, hoping WHS will notice the error, and let me reconfigure...

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Phil,

To address your response...let me elaborate.

I had set up this extra internal drive to be Drive H...then when setting it up as a backup drive, WHS removed the drive letter and made it a backup volume.  So I now no longer had a drive H:\.

A day later, I plug in an external drive, and assign it the letter drive letter H (not remembering, or not thinking it would matter, since i no longer had a drive H).

I then started seeing these 3 services failing.  I removed the external drive, and the backup drive and the problem stopped. 

I thought maybe it was related to the fact that the backup drive had *previously* been assigned the same letter...maybe something somewhere was still thinking of it as H:\ and there was a conflict.

However, that does not seem to be the issue, as I've reconfigured the internal drive as a backup drive, and have no since plugged that external drive back in...yet I'm still seeing these 3 services failing...

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Does WHS 2011 not allow for an INTERNAL drive to be part of the backup pool?

Every time I go in and add a drive as a Backup drive, then set up backups...a day after the first backup, these 3 services fail again.

The only way to fix it and get the services back up and running is to go into diskmgmt and delete the backup drive's partition...

Does a backup drive HAVE to be external?  If not, what partition type should it be?  (GPT?  Dynamic? MBR?)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:27 PM

• Does a backup drive HAVE to be external?  If not, what partition type should it be?  (GPT?  Dynamic? MBR?)

No. I use SATA drives in caddies formatted MBR without any problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:32 PM
  • yep.  Sure enough (sigh).

So I removed the partition on the internal 3Tb hard drive I want to use for backups.

I convert it to MBR, and it shows as a drive split into 2Tb and 1Tb segements.  Whatever, I don't care.

I do NOT assign it a drive letter, or format it or anything.

I configure backups adding the drives (both spaces), and set that all up.  Everything is working just great for a few days.

Then, this morning...same thing.  the 3 services fail.  And I've made no configuration changes, or really any changes of any kind.

Does anyone know of a way to contact a human being for support?  I dropped money on server software that works for everything except backing up my data.  That's like buying a sports car with great adjustable seats, but no engine...

I REALLY REALLY could use some help here.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:21 PM
  • the thing that sucks is, ANYTHING I would normally do to repair the issue, requires those very service to be running.

I can't reconfigure the backups...I can't even LOOK at them to possibly remove any corrupted backups (which is what I really think the issue is).

I can't even look at the volume, because other than showing in the dashboard as a backup drive (with no real options)...the drive is pretty much hidden in all other aspects.

So any diagnosis/tweaking I could do is dead in the water from the get go.

And again, let me reiterate...I've used quite a few different brand new hard drives, and each time, I'm seeing this same behavior

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Firstly there is no support for WHS2011 as it's an OEM product, for which you provide your own support!!

Is this problem only apparent when you use a 3TB drive for server backup? I am not sure why you want to waste a 3TB HDD on a server backup drive as WHS will only back up a maximum of 2TB due to the virtual hard disk limitation. I suggest you try it with another drive which is 2TB or less and see what happens.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:31 PM
  • I might try that.

Quick quesiton though...

>> WHS will only back up a maximum of 2TB due to the virtual hard disk limitation

I thought this applied to the size of an individual backup.  So even the total size of ALL the backups can't exceed 2Tb?

so if I have a 1Tb folder, it can only be backuped twice?  (okay, okay..I know that each subsequent backup would only be a delta from the first...but you get my point).

I have several folders that are 400-500Gb that are being backed up.  SO I just wanted to ensure there would be room for several backups.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:07 PM
  • That's correct .vhd files are limited to 2TB total. The backup size you actually need will depend on how much and how often your data changes.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:02 PM
  • yep...switched out and made my 2TB drive my backup drive, and still seeing the same behavior.

Any tips on debugging this problem?  I'm really starting to get frustrated that I wasted my money on server software that isn't allowing me backups.

The drive I have the OS installed on, is also partitioned out as a separate drive for my music.  Is this not allowed?

meaning, the OS only takes (just throwing a number out here) 250Gb....but I'm installing it on a 1Tb drive.  So I partition out 500Gb of that drive for a drive to hold my music.

Could THIS be causing problems??  I wouldn't think so...

I'm just getting fed up...I'm not sure what else the problem could be...pretty much everything else is "stock" so to speak.  I have no add-ins, no tweaks, etc.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:25 PM
  • You have run chkdsk /r on all disks and that has not revealed any problem?

When you install WHS2011 it sets up its own partition (C:) on the chosen drive and as part of the installation process, it uses the rest of the disk as server storage. If you have a single disk at installation it allocates that server storage area the drive letter D: and it creates all the pre-defined shared folders on that partition. Is this what you did? How did you create your Music partition? If you didn't allow WHS to create it, why did you feel the need to do it manually? Not sure if this is the problem but it might be.

If I were you I would make a server backup (if you can) just in case you want to get back to where you are now and do a clean install using a single disk, without changing anything WHS wants to do and see if that fixes the problem

Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I've run chkdsk /r on all the drives, many times. :(

So...it appears the problem was as simple as this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946339

Apperantly, WHS '11 doesn't like you just disconnecting external drives.  I always wait until they're done transferring/backing up, and the HDD lights are off before removing them, but that didn't seem to matter.

So, low and behold, I connect both of the Ext HDD's I used to seed the server, and viola...the services started running agian.

The only problem is, the article I reference says to use the "Remove Hard Drive wizard" to disconnect an external drive.  However, this tool doesnt' seem to exist anywhere...or at least, *I* can't find it.

So what good is having Ext HDD's that I can't remove (i.e. Take off site as a good backup protocol?)

There HAS to be a way to remove these drive, without killing these 3 backup related services...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:40 AM
  • That's for WHS1, not WHS2011! There is no Wizard for WHS2011 and just removing the disks works fine. So the services stopping when the disks are not connected doesn't sound like it's a problem!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:24 AM
  • I'm sad to report that you're right.

It DOES get the services to stay up longer...(I have no clue why).  THey'll stay up for a few minutes now, where as before, they were dying almost immediately.

But alas, a couple minutes goes by, and they're down again.

I'm in the process of perparing to reinstal the whole OS....if that doesn't work, I will likely be burning the damned thing!  This is seriously the most frustring OS I've ever used....

So I have a question, if I have OTHER drives, with data on them...and simply reinstall the OS on the 1 main drive...will the data on the other drives remain in tact after the reinstall?

I'm trying to move stuff to my external drives, but again, I'm seeing transfer speeds in the 10-20 Mbs range...and this is for internal to internal SATA 3 drives.  Unbelieveable.

The transfer speeds in WHS '11 are HORRIBLE.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:56 PM
  • I'm sad to report that you're right.

I'm in the process of perparing to reinstal the whole OS....if that doesn't work, I will likely be burning the damned thing!  This is seriously the most frustring OS I've ever used....

So I have a question, if I have OTHER drives, with data on them...and simply reinstall the OS on the 1 main drive...will the data on the other drives remain in tact after the reinstall?

I'm trying to move stuff to my external drives, but again, I'm seeing transfer speeds in the 10-20 Mbs range...and this is for internal to internal SATA 3 drives.  Unbelieveable.

The transfer speeds in WHS '11 are HORRIBLE.

I sense and understand your frustration. I believe it's something to do with your specific installation as I have not seen anything similar on my two systems. You should be OK with data on the other drives but to be safe I would re-install with them disconnected. My transfer speeds are 100Mb/sec!

After the reinstall, I suggest you make no changes other than through the Dashboard and do extensive testing to confirm that everything is working before you start making other changes!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:22 PM
  • >> My transfer speeds are 100Mb/sec!

That's exactly what I see at first...and if it's just one file, it'll usually finish near that speed.

But it's is a few large files, it'll start at 100Mb, but slowly drop and drop, and within a minute, I'm down to 10-20Mbs...

I can't be sure, but I think it might have to do with overhead for parallel processing.  When I look in Resource monitor, it looks like it's trying to copy many files at one time...so I wonder if my 6-core CPU is actually churning.  LIke each processor is trying to copy a file individually, and the result is bottlenecking...?

But shouldn't windows be smart enough to know when to utilize extra cores and when not to?

Either way, yes...I'm going to reinstall...with VERY minimal changes.  let it run for a few days, then add things piece meal and try to find what specific change is the catalyst for these symptoms...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:04 PM
  • question though.

as maybe I'm not understanding how I should be setting things up.

Let's say I have a 2Tb hard drive...and I want to install the OS on that drive.

And as far as data's concerned, I have a documents folder, music, pictures, etc.  Total of about 500Gb worth of data.

Do I install the OS on that 2TB hard drive, and let it take up the whole drive...then put my data on the same drive (C:\)?

Or should I partition maybe 1.5 Tb off for my data, and just install the OS on a 500Gb partition or something?  (which is what I'd pretty much done).

I just worry if maybe I'm messing things up by having my shares on a different drive than the OS (which would seem preferable, IMO).  Or maybe because my client backups are on another drive?  or the server backups are on another drive?

maybe if everything were on the same drive, this probably wouldn't happen?  That seems like a crazy limitation though, if that were the case.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Start with the 2TB disk un-partitioned and the only disk connected. During installation it will create a C: partition for the OS (60GB), a small hidden partition and then allocate the rest of the space to a D: drive. It will then create the standard Shared Folders on that D: drive (you can move them later using the Dashboard if required). You don't want anything else on C: other than the OS.

Good luck!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:09 PM
  • VERY much appreciated.

Yeah...that's exactly what I thought I'd done before, but with all the fiddling ever since, I couldn't remember.

OKay...and here's my guess on some other thing

- Server backups should be on a completely seperate drive.  Internal is ok?

- Client backups...can they be on the D: (partition of the same physical drive as the OS) drive?  Or do they *have* to be on a separate drive as well?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Server backups are on a drive specifically dedicated to them. The drive can either be internal or external - just do not allow it to be formatted as a data drive - It should end up without a drive letter. Use the Dashboard to set up what gets backed up.

Client backups are on any of your internal storage drives (ideally not C:) - the location is defined using the Dashboard to move the pre-created "Client Computer Backups" folder to where you want it.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:26 PM
  • >> just do not allow it to be formatted as a data drive

I assume it's okay if it PREVIOUSLY was a data drive, but I've since removed the partition prior to adding as a backup drive?

or does it have to have NEVER been a data drive?  that wouldn't make sense to me....

Friday, April 26, 2013 2:15 PM
  • It does not matter what it was previously.

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:42 PM