none
MEMORY

Question

• Dear All,

Good Day!!!!

I am using windows 2003 R2 with SP2. Initially my hardware is 4 GB of RAM. Recently I upgraded it to 6Gb in BIOS its updated and in windows properties will is still showing 4 GB. Any comments /  solution is mostly welcome..

Bye BYe

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:25 AM

Answers

• It'd be good to know if you're running Standard edition or another flavor of the OS.

If it's Standard edition, I'm afraid you're stuck at the 4GB limitation.  However, if it's not, and you have Enterprise or Datacenter Editions, you can scale that memory up quite nicely by using a physical address extension (PAE).

You would edit this in the boot.ini file of the machine.  Information on how to do this can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037.  Just note that this won't work on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Best Regards,

Jarred

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:20 PM

All replies

• Are you running a 64-bit operating system? Here are a couple things I'd check using PowerShell. First confirm that this is a 64-bit operating system. The following script should tell you this:

Get-WmiObject -class "Win32_Processor" -property "AddressWidth"

You can also check this out by clicking on the Start Menu, right clicking on "Computer", and choosing "Properties". In the Properties dialog you'll see the version of the OS.

Ryan Waite

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Dear Ryan,

Good Day!

Its 32 bit operating system..

Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:30 AM
  • It'd be good to know if you're running Standard edition or another flavor of the OS.

If it's Standard edition, I'm afraid you're stuck at the 4GB limitation.  However, if it's not, and you have Enterprise or Datacenter Editions, you can scale that memory up quite nicely by using a physical address extension (PAE).

You would edit this in the boot.ini file of the machine.  Information on how to do this can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037.  Just note that this won't work on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Best Regards,

Jarred

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:20 PM