Windows XP Professional SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I was noticing that I had the same problem as Elvi g. Although I have a little different situation. I purchased my computer used and saw on my computer that it had Windows XP Professional sp2. I have had this computer for almost 2 years with not a glich in the operating system. But, 2 weeks ago everything changed. I did what I do every day and thats sign on and do my thing. This time I received a warning that " I may be a victim of software conterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation". And of course, I never received the CD for the Professional program. So through all my investigating this is what I have found out so far: the product key code was probably used in a large business and updates are no longer available (whatever that means). Now my original computer, EMachines T2958 came with Windows XP Home Addition but I do not have a CD for that either. Although I do have a recovery DVD for Emachines I can't find anything showing Windows XP Home. I have spoken to Customer Support at Emachines (they won't even give me the time of day, because I didn't purchase their computer from them and it's a 2004, and they just can't supply me with a recovery CD blah...blah blah) they were useless.  I have spoken to 3 different Customer Service professionals and 3 Technical Assistants within Microsoft Company. They are trying to help me, but I don't think they understand what I want to do. I just want to remove the Windows XP Pro and hopefully still have the Windows XP Home edition still installed on my computer. Is this a possible solution? Or do I have to actually buy new software?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you

Grandma BB
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers