Offic Communicator Auto Logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have Office Communications Standard edition 2007 Server deployed in our site with 50 Users. Currently I have also enabled Web Communicator access on this server for the users who wants to chat using http. Our in house staff logon to OCS server through manual configuration logon using TCP.

We have about 5 users in  a different site who alaso wants to logon to OCS server. Presently all of them uses VPN connection to our Network and using office communicator client logon to OCS server. All these 5 participants are interested to have an audio and video call using office communicator (Multiple Participants) without collobaration.

I have already activated web communicator access on the same OCS server. I want to enable Auto Logon feature to our OCS server without getting connected over VPN. Users should logon to OCS server without VPN connection and participate in OCS Audio/Video call without colloborative features.

I got to findout from one document about deploying an Edge server for external access. If I deploy Edge server on the other Physical Server Computer which has one LAN card, how to enable and activate this Edge Server. What rules needs to be enabled in our Firewall? Users wants to have Multi Audio/Video calls, Is this possible? How to enable Auto Logon to OCS? How to create DNS records? Public IPs needs to be assigned to which interface?

Please do assist me in completing this configuration.
    Please do let me know for any other information.

Regards
    Sanj

Sanju
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• A few things.

I am fairly sure Communicator Web Access is not supported on the Std edition pool.  It is recommended to be on its own server.

For VPN users, they should be able to logon using the same settings as the LAN users, unless for some reason your VPN users are having name resolution or DNS suffix issues.

If you want to do an Edge server, there is an entire planning guide, and a lot of blog articles and help out there on this specific item.

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ed45b74e-00c4-40d2-abee-216ce50f5ad2&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:36 PM
  • chrislehr said:

I am fairly sure Communicator Web Access is not supported on the Std edition pool.  It is recommended to be on its own server.

The documentation says: "In a smaller organization, Communicator Web Access can be located on the same computer that is running Office Communications Server 2007 R2". 
    Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi all,

If I deploy Edge Server Roles on one of our other Physical Server Computer (Access Edge Server, Web Conferencing and A/V) , during the activation of this Edge Server, what interface (IP Address) should be mentioned.

I am quite confused with the user interfaces.

I have deployed OCS standard Edition Server 2007 in A server and planning to deploy edge Server Role in B Server. As ours is a small firm, I am not interested to have Load balancer and Director. With this configuration, how should I go about the deployment so that I can provide automatic logon to OCS server using Office communicator client and also help my users participate in Audio/Video call.

Please do let me know for any further information.

Regards
    Sanjay

Sanju
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Hi all,

Can you please help me to setup edge Server on the other server computer? How to go about its deployment? the document which you had mentioned in the above thread is confusing and hence requesting you to help me complete this deployment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    sanjay
    Sanju
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Johann,

I think you many be quoting that statement from older documentation, but it's incorrect.

The official TechNet documentation states that CWA must be installed on a separate server from the Standard Edition Front-End server:

Under Supported Topologies:
    "In a smaller organization you can install Communicator Web Access on one computer and run Office Communications Server 2007 R2 on another. In larger organizations, Communicator Web Access can be deployed as an array of servers located behind a hardware load balancer."

Also, in this previous thread I posted clarification from MS that CWA is indeed NOT supported collocated.  There was a TechNet blog out there which incorrectly stated that, but has since been fixed.

Sanju,

To get started with the Edge server deployment, also take a look at these articles which cover many of the common questions:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=19
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=33
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Jeff,

thanks for clarifying that.

I took that information from OCSDocumentation.chm dated Dec. 17th which was included in a UC-Documentation (PRE-RELEASE) folder. I could not find any newer version of that file which I found very useful since it collects all OCS R2 server related documentation. Now it is less helpful if it contains errors as seen above :-)

Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Johann,

Ah, yeah I'd toss that TAP-era .CHM file.  There has not yet been a publicly released CHM file for R2 but I believe this is waiting on some final R2 documentation reviews.  I know many people are asking for it as it's portability is quite handy.  I'm sticking to the online documentation for now as that's the most up-to-date source out there and I know the product team is continually updating it.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:17 PM
  • Hi all,

In an another physical computer where I am planning to deploy Edge Server Role currently assigned with an local LAN IP address of 192.168.1.12,

My questions are :-

1.) Should I have to assign the Two Local LAN IP address for Access Edge and Web Conference Server Roles to the same NIC?

2.) How to route traffic to this NIC for Access edge and Web Conference Roles from our Firewall, should we have to NAT the Public IP from our firewall to the LAN IP assineg to these roles?

3.) Should I have to assign the Public IP to another NIC for A/V Edge Access Role?

4.) In our firewall, we have extra unused port. Should I have to connect the LAN cable from this port to second NIC for A/V Edge server role?

5.) How to route traffic from our firewall to this NIC throgh our Firewall?

6.) How to create DNS SRV records for automatic configuration to OCS server through OCC?

7.) We don't want to use Reverse Proxy and Load balancers as ours is a small firm.

8.) I want to use my own Certificate authority.

Please help me complete this deployment.

Please do let me know for any further information.

Regards
    Sanjay

Sanju
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Please someone reply to my questions.
    Sanju
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:41 AM
  • 1. You can, only as long as they are both in the same subnetwork.  Dedicated NIC for each external role is preferred from a performance standpoint, but not required.

2. You can use NAT on both of those roles so that the Public IP is assigned to a firewall and the Edge server itself has private IP addresses assigned to each of those 2 roles.

3.  If you plan to use a public IP on the A/V Edge role and assign it directly to the Edge server then you will need another NIC dedicated for the A/V roles.

4. To use a public IP on the A/V edge you should connect the A/V Edge NIC directly to that free port.

5. Depends on your firewall.  See that device's manual.

6. See the deployment documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425138(office.13).aspx

7. Load Balancers are not required.  For Reverse Proxy see this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/b7a583a8-9df4-46be-a5f8-26810ce38c60/

8. An internal CA is recommended for the internal Edge certificate, but if you use internal certs on the external Edge roles then only computers which trust your internal CA will be able to connect to the Edge server.  Typically computers which are members of your internal domains will do this by default, so corporate users will not have problems connecting, but without using a public certificate on the external Edge roles you will not be able to utilize Public IM or allow anonymous Live Meeting participants.  Also Federation will only be possible if you give your root/intermediate certs to other parties for them to add manually to their Edge servers.

Please go back and read the blog article I previously posted as most of your answers are covered in detail there:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=33

Monday, July 27, 2009 12:21 PM