Restored PC Duplicated on Backup screen RRS feed

• Question

• I had a PC fail and restored it but now I have that PC listed twice.  The restored PC won't backup and the old one just site there saying no backup in xx days.  How do I merge the two PC's into one or move the backups from one to the other so I can remove the old PC? 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:48 PM

Answers

• DScruton said:

Computer company restored PC then gave it back.

There's the problem. :)  WHS uses a unique ID to identify a computer.  The computer company didn't restore your backup from your server.  They used the recovery disk that came with your PC and did a fresh install of Windows.  When you joined the fresh install of your client to the server, it was given a different unique ID than the one it had before (because you didn't restore from your backup on your server).  You should either A) use the WHS restore CD to restore your latest backup of your "old" setup or B) just delete the "old" setup and move on.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:27 AM

All replies

• DScruton said:

I had a PC fail and restored it but now I have that PC listed twice.  The restored PC won't backup and the old one just site there saying no backup in xx days.  How do I merge the two PC's into one or move the backups from one to the other so I can remove the old PC? 

To clarify:  Did you run the WHS restore CD to restore from a backup stored on WHS?  Or did you reinstall Windows (by either booting from a Windows CD/DVD or a recovery disk provided by OEM manufacturers such as HP)?
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Computer company restored PC then gave it back.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:30 AM
  • DScruton said:

Computer company restored PC then gave it back.

There's the problem. :)  WHS uses a unique ID to identify a computer.  The computer company didn't restore your backup from your server.  They used the recovery disk that came with your PC and did a fresh install of Windows.  When you joined the fresh install of your client to the server, it was given a different unique ID than the one it had before (because you didn't restore from your backup on your server).  You should either A) use the WHS restore CD to restore your latest backup of your "old" setup or B) just delete the "old" setup and move on.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:27 AM