Can't activate after upgrading to Win 7 Pro Retail from Win 7 Pro VL (both x64) RRS feed

• Question

• 

Upgraded from Win 7 Pro VL x64, this was never activated and was beyond the grace period, to Win 7 Pro Retail x64.

Activation will not take the Retail key with an error of invalid key after typing the 8th letter/number.

Went through the process of renaming the tokens.dat but that didn't fix the issue.

I've tried to post the MGAdiag results before the tokens.dat rename but can't for some reason. The Validation Code: is now 0x8004FE22

I'm hoping not to have to perform a fresh install.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:15 PM

Answers

•  0xC004F050 usually means that you've misread a character - either C/G/6 or B/8 or Y/V are the most common, an O/0 is almost always a Q

Note that the following characters cannot be used - A E I L N O S U Z 1 0 - so don't bother trying unless you like the noise it makes :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

•  0xC004F050 usually means that you've misread a character - either C/G/6 or B/8 or Y/V are the most common, an O/0 is almost always a Q

Note that the following characters cannot be used - A E I L N O S U Z 1 0 - so don't bother trying unless you like the noise it makes :)

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Please ignore the error message when clicking on the MGADiag Copy button - it will still paste properly to your reply.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:20 PM
  • I guess I need a refresher in printing :-) a Y is NOT a V

Thx Noel!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Common enough - done it myself a few times.

Good luck.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:54 PM