Update GoDaddy.com domain name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have  setup a domain name remote.foo.com using godaddy and the standard WHS 2011 wizard. This works great. It automatically updates my A-host record in my zone file for 'remote' using my dynamic IP address at home so that my remote access never has interruption. However, I have IIS setup on my WHS and would like to host other web sites from my home server at www.foo.com, abc.foo.com, and so on and so forth. The problem is that my A-host record in my zone file for '@' does not get updated, I see no way to get it to update and even calling godaddy support (worthless by the way) has no clue how WHS 2011 updates the A-host file for 'remote' dynamically. They are unaware of any publically exposed web service that WHS 2011 could be using to update the domain.

Does anybody know how this is done? Maybe there is something basic that I am missing from a domain name service stand point that I am overlooking that makes this easy? Has anybody else out there experienced similar problem and resolved it either with a custom code solution or by leveraging a GoDaddy DNS update software to do the job?

If there was such a web service I would be happy to write a simple WHS 2011 plug-in or Windows Service to do the job but so far GoDaddy has said such kind of web service does not exist.

Thanks!

Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:34 PM

All replies

• The DDNS client built into Windows Home Server will only update the URI it knows about, which is yourserver.foo.com. There's no way I know of to piggyback on the DNS update handshake, I'm afraid.

Rather than trying to piggyback on it, you could use a different domain (and a different DDNS client). Any number of URLs can point to the same IP address, and through host headers IIS can be configured so that requests for yourserver.foo.com go to your Windows Home Server remote access web site while requests for www.fighters.com goes to your other web site. Doing so is unsupported, of course; Microsoft doesn't guarantee that this will work to your satisfaction, there are no tools built into the dashboard to make it easy, and if you break core Windows Home Server functionality, you're more or less on your own for a solution.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:22 PM