Assign Static IP RRS feed

• Question

• Can you assign a static IP to WHS?  Looks like there are no network connection properties.  Can one use netsh to accomplish this?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 6:57 PM

Answers

• Sure, via Control Panel\Network Connections. CP is not available via Start Menu, but can be found in Explorer.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  fanatic4hagar wrote:
    Can you assign a static IP to WHS? Looks like there are no network connection properties. Can one use netsh to accomplish this?

You can assign a static IP to your WHS in several ways. Through Network connections is probably the easiest:
    • Start/Run
    • type control and press return
    • In Control Panel, select Network Connections
    However, what I have done is applied a setting in my broadband router to tie a specific nonroutable IP to the MAC address of my WHS. (Most broadband routers have some way to do this, I believe.) That way, I don't need to use Control Panel on my WHS to change the network settings.
  • Of course you can.  On all my desktops I always place nethood icon on my desktop so I can right clcik properties.

But on WHS you can also simply click start> windows explorer>contol panel> network properties.

Just curious though, do you have any trouble keeping the same IP with DHCP?

Still......Grey

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:09 PM
  •  tsteuver wrote:
    I succeeded to change the ip address of the WHS system to a static address but after I already added four workstations.  I added a fifth workstation after I changed the ip address.  Now the four original workstations will not backup but the backups work fine on the recently added system.  I can access the shares fine from all systems and I can run the Server Console from them all as well.  Just the backups do not work.  Is there a setting I must change on the workstations to point the backups to the new address or do I just uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector?

I have had the same problem.  Reinstalling the WHS connector on the clients worked for me.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• Sure, via Control Panel\Network Connections. CP is not available via Start Menu, but can be found in Explorer.
  •  fanatic4hagar wrote:
    Can you assign a static IP to WHS? Looks like there are no network connection properties. Can one use netsh to accomplish this?

You can assign a static IP to your WHS in several ways. Through Network connections is probably the easiest:
    • Start/Run
    • type control and press return
    • In Control Panel, select Network Connections
    However, what I have done is applied a setting in my broadband router to tie a specific nonroutable IP to the MAC address of my WHS. (Most broadband routers have some way to do this, I believe.) That way, I don't need to use Control Panel on my WHS to change the network settings.
  • Of course you can.  On all my desktops I always place nethood icon on my desktop so I can right clcik properties.

But on WHS you can also simply click start> windows explorer>contol panel> network properties.

Still......Grey

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:09 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

I don't think you can. In default setting I dont see the control panel there.  But you can right click My Network Places from  there and select Properties menu.

I would like to see a kind of web page, which gives you the hand to alter some basic settings just during or after install:

Computer Name, Workgroup and IP settings come into my mind as some favorite candidates for this greeting assistent.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:30 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Personally, no, however any machine on my home network that's getting traffic forwarded gets a static ip.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 7:35 PM
  • I just searched the forums on how to do this very thing.
    I am familar with using Control Panel and such, but on this rare occasion I decided to read the help file.
    Logged in to WHS, and doing a search in Help I found reference to a "Home Server Settings Connectivity page allows you to view or configure the following settings on your home server:"

Name and Network settings.

Where is this Connectivity page?
    I am not finding it...

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Me neither... Anyone?

cb

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Was able to go through control panel to set static IP address...

cb

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Once I logged in via remote desktop I just right clicked on my network icon to change the IP.  It was no different than any other PC I needed to change the IP address on.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:09 PM
  • i've just setup on my Router a static IP to my MAC from WHS, so anytime if it asks for a new IP it becomes always the same one.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:29 PM
  • By default on the Administrator account for WHS, Control Panel doesn't display. If you setup a user account and log in as the user instead of Administrator, Control Panell should display in the start menu.

From either account, if you right click the Taskbar, select Properties, click Start Menu tab, then Customize, in the Advanced tab you have the option to select Display Control Panel. Also if you scroll down you can select My Network Places, and they will display in the Start Menu.

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:10 PM
  • I succeeded to change the ip address of the WHS system to a static address but after I already added four workstations.  I added a fifth workstation after I changed the ip address.  Now the four original workstations will not backup but the backups work fine on the recently added system.  I can access the shares fine from all systems and I can run the Server Console from them all as well.  Just the backups do not work.  Is there a setting I must change on the workstations to point the backups to the new address or do I just uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector?
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  tsteuver wrote:
    I succeeded to change the ip address of the WHS system to a static address but after I already added four workstations.  I added a fifth workstation after I changed the ip address.  Now the four original workstations will not backup but the backups work fine on the recently added system.  I can access the shares fine from all systems and I can run the Server Console from them all as well.  Just the backups do not work.  Is there a setting I must change on the workstations to point the backups to the new address or do I just uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector?

I have had the same problem.  Reinstalling the WHS connector on the clients worked for me.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Rather than reinstalling connector you can go to C:\program files\windows home server and run discovery.exe - this rediscovers the server.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 8:28 PM