CRM 2011 - Email router - how to process high priority pending mails first? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a portal and multiple widows services sitting on top of CRM 2011. Some of these services generate huge number of nitification mails to users (few thousands in few minutes) at anytime of day based on some user request on the portal. Our router process emails at a speed  of around 100 mails per minute. So some times it takes hours to clear the pending mails. There are some important mails in this huge list which we would like to send out first than rest of the mails.

I have noticed that the mails get cleared by the router in FIFO fashion regardless of the priority set to the mails. Probably this is how mails are processed by the email router without considering priority? Also all our mails are sent from one user account only.

Will creating a separate outgoing profile (with same SMTP server) and using a different CRM user for these few priority mails help?

- Arvind (My posts represent my own views and not of Accenture's)

Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:45 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem with what I called 'bulk' emails where the client needed to send out 3k-5k emails notifying customers about an outage, or a software patch, etc.  Those emails would clog up the Email router queue while others that were more important were stuck behind them.

My solution was not simple, but it was effective.  I created a custom entity called SMTP mail, and mimicked the email entity with fields like from, to, subject, body, regarding contact, etc.  This could be a regular entity, or a new Activity type entity.

Then I wrote a plugin on the create/update messages for this new entity.  In the plugin it would basically look for new records, then use the .NET SMTP libraries to send the email, rather than using the CRM email router.

Again, it was not simple, but it worked great for notification emails.

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Honestly it sounds like you're abusing the design intent of email automation in CRM.  I'd look for ways to reduce notifications, or scale up the email router and Exchange servers.  It's clear you're overloading them if it takes that long to process.

I shudder to think of what normal Exchange user experience is during that time.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for writing all the details. If it was on to me probably I could have taken this approach but this won't get approved by my superiors unless the router starts crashing :)

I am looking for more OOB approach, like I mentioned using different users for different kind of mails. Have you tried that by any chance?

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Agree to you, CRM probably was not the best product to be used here.

We have a huge MVC portal sitting on top of CRM with user base of around 2.5 million users. Many of them need to be reminded of performing certain operations every few months. We need to send multiple reminders every week or so. The reminder email volume is approx 10 - 40 K per day apart from normal mails like username/password details etc, which are urgent.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 4:21 PM
  • I did find the article about load balancing among multiple email routers?  Not sure if it would apply to your situation, but it's worth some research.

http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/dynamics-crm-load-balance-email-router.html

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 4:58 PM