Set destination folder ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to set the location of the folder on the other devices when you set op the initial sync ? So tell it shouldn't be on the desktop but on the /documents/...

And is there any way to select a folder that already exists on the other machine (that might already contain some files) ? Like in foldershare ?

Is somehting like this comming ?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:32 PM

Answers

• CKurt,

You are able to change the folder location when the folder sync relationship is first being established on the second machine, by specifying something other than default in the 'Location' field after you double click on the shortcut icon.  After the folder sync relationship has been established we do not yet support changing this folder location.  If you drag the folder to a new location the sync relationship will be severed with Live Mesh.  It is possible to reestablish this relationship but the intuitive experience of being able to specify new locations or drag and drop folders to new locations and have the Mesh relationship preserved is not there yet.  This is something we definitely plan on implementing after PDC.

Thanks,

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:29 PM

All replies

• You can do this on the other machine, but not from the host machine when you add the folder to the Mesh. On the other machines, you simply right click the Mesh folder that appears on the desktop and specify that you wish to sync with a different location, browsing to an existing folder on the local hard drive.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Mmm,

I found the dialog you mean, but it doesn't really work...

It doesn't move the folder from one place to an other. The folder stay in teh same place but losses it's "Live Mesh"-icon. And on the other place the folder isn't created...

Bug ?

I would still love to be able to set destination folder when i initially set op the sync (like in foldershare)
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Hmm.... It works for me (in the past) where I can change the sync options on the target to point to a different folder. That causes the new destination folder to change into a Mesh folder for the sync and removes it from the desktop.
    Others have asked for the ability to configure the default location.

Right click on the folder and you shoudl see "Live Mesh Options" and Change Sync Settings, which allows you to browse and change the location for the sync and to also designate what devices the sync should happen with.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, October 17, 2008 6:25 PM
  • CKurt,

You are able to change the folder location when the folder sync relationship is first being established on the second machine, by specifying something other than default in the 'Location' field after you double click on the shortcut icon.  After the folder sync relationship has been established we do not yet support changing this folder location.  If you drag the folder to a new location the sync relationship will be severed with Live Mesh.  It is possible to reestablish this relationship but the intuitive experience of being able to specify new locations or drag and drop folders to new locations and have the Mesh relationship preserved is not there yet.  This is something we definitely plan on implementing after PDC.

Thanks,

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:29 PM