Interaction with Windows Indexing RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy a lot and love it. Each morning and evening I synch home computer to my laptop. I create and modify files on both computers more or less equally.

Last year, after moving to Vista, I found that Windows indexing was not reliable some files were indexed, some weren't.

So I moved to Copernic. Same problem.

Eventually I discovered that the only way I could reliably search was to use a fast search utility such as FileLocatorPro.

I was disappointed with the situation but didn't think much about why Vista search and Copernic didn't work properly.

I recently installed Vista on a new machine and decided I'd work with Windows indexing again. It was the holidays and everything worked fine.

As soon as I started work again the problem has recurred and I've just realised why; files which are created on one machine and which are transferred by SyncToy are not indexed on the other machine unless I reindex - which is not an option for a file set of about 40,000 files.

(I should mention that on each machine Windows Indexing states "Indexing Complete")

As it has happened on three different Vista installations I suspect that this is a real issue.

So my questions are:

* is there are way around this issue on version 1.4, which I am using?

*has the issue been fixed in 2.0?

Thanks for your comments

Jim B

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

That is an interesting issue and I have to admit I have not heard this one before.  I will pass this one on to engineering and let you know what we find out.  As such, I am not certain if this has been fixed in 2.0.  I would be interested in hearing if you still see this issue if you do get a chance to try 2.0.

Liam

Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

That is an interesting issue and I have to admit I have not heard this one before.  I will pass this one on to engineering and let you know what we find out.  As such, I am not certain if this has been fixed in 2.0.  I would be interested in hearing if you still see this issue if you do get a chance to try 2.0.

Liam

Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Thanks Liam,

I've installed 2.0 and so far so good, although with very limited use as yet.

JIm.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:27 AM