Server not backing up new files RRS feed

• Question

• I set up my Home Server last weekend and first ran a complete manual back up. And every night the software is supposed to back up my files. It shows in Windows Home Server Console that the back ups run correctly every night, but the files aren't actually going to the server. I added a CD to the my music folder in my documents, and that CD has not shown up in the servers back ups. I have checked multiple times, and it has been a few days since the CD was added. Anyway to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Notes:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit OS on the computer
    Back up time for the auto back ups is about 20 minutes(Which alone is way too low for the stuff needed to back up)
    Custom made home server using an old HP desktop
    1.76TB of free storage
    Linksys WRT54G router. I average 2.2Mbps over wifi.. (yea I know, sucks)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• Nevermind. I fixed the issue. I had to change a setting in my network. Thanks alot though
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:02 PM

All replies

• Your nightly backup time is fine. windows Home Server doesn't transfer the complete contents of your PC every night; it uses a technique called "single instance storage" to store only a single copy of a cluster of data on your server, no matter how many computers or backups contain that cluster of data.

As for the CD not showing up: How did you "add" it to your music folder? Where are you looking on the server for it?

For more information about the backup functionality, consult any documentation you received with your server if you have one from an OEM such as Acer or HP, consult the windows Home Server help files (available through the help link in the console), and consult the Support page in the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:59 PM
  • So say my hard drive was to crash at this moment. Would all my data still be safe?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:42 AM
  • So say my hard drive was to crash at this moment. Would all my data still be safe?
    In theory, yes.  However, you didn't answer Ken's questions (which makes a difference).
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:44 AM
  • well the CD I was talking about was one that was in the "My Music" folder in Windows 7. When I opened the back up VIA Windows Home Server Console, and navigated to the duplicated folder, the CD was not in that folder. I did not put it in the "music" directory for use across my network, I only have it in the back ups. I  hope this makes sense.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:04 PM
  • well the CD I was talking about was one that was in the "My Music" folder in Windows 7. When I opened the back up VIA Windows Home Server Console, and navigated to the duplicated folder, the CD was not in that folder.

First, there is no "duplicated folder" of the backup database on the server.  Folder Duplication is only for the shares.  If you're looking at the shares (\\server\music), that's the problem as that's not part of the backup database.  (The fact that you mentioned "duplicated folder" makes me think that you're looking in the wrong place.)

In any event, to clarify: are you opening the backup of that client through the Console (by clicking on the Computers and Backup tab, selecting the correct client, then the most recent backup of that client), browsing to the exact same path (i.e. C:\Users\username\Music) as it is on the client (the "My Music" folder, not the "Public Music" folder)?

I did not put it in the "music" directory for use across my network, I only have it in the back ups. I  hope this makes sense.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:28 PM

• In any event, to clarify: are you opening the backup of that client through the Console (by clicking on the Computers and Backup tab, selecting the correct client, then the most recent backup of that client), browsing to the exact same path (i.e. C:\Users\username\Music) as it is on the client (the "My Music" folder, not the "Public Music" folder)?

I am doing exactly that. I can see all the other music files, from my first manual back up. But nothing I have added since my first manual back up
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I am doing exactly that. I can see all the other music files, from my first manual back up. But nothing I have added since my first manual back up
    Do you have other clients?  If so, are those working?  What about adding other data (besides music) to that client?  Is it possible for you to take a pic of the file path for both the client as well as the backup, post those pics on a pic-hosting website, then link to them here?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Nevermind. I fixed the issue. I had to change a setting in my network. Thanks alot though
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:02 PM