Product key invalid-->hardware key invalid--->never ending circle RRS feed

• Question

•  

Okay, I have a retail Windows XP SP2 CD. It is valid and geniune version from OfficeDepot.  I have been trying to install it on my Intel iMac that I got 2 weeks ago from Apple.

So, I launched BootCamp, it created the partition and started the install process. Installed just fine-then Activation. It told me my Product Key was invalid. I called Microsoft (India by the accent) who had me read to them that long Hardware ID key. They told me the Hardware ID key was "wrong." Transferred me to tech support who logged into my machine and tried to activate it again. Gave a different hardware key and he then talked to some who gave us a new Product ID key. Ran it and again-told us it was invalid.

This went on and on for 45 minutes in a never ending circle.

I gave up after being told that both my hardware key was invalid AND all Product Keys were invalid and "there is nothing we can do for you, you need to call Apple."

I installed VMWare and used the same media and the original Product Key--and it installed and is working just fine--INCLUDING ACTIVATION.

I would rather NOT use a virtual machine--speed and applications are an issue with a VM--but this never ending Product Key-Hardware Key invalid is a show stopper.

So, any ideas? Apple of couse pointed back to Microsoft as it is an issue with the software, but man--when I did it got me nowhere as noted above.

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hello baraktorvan,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.pub

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hello baraktorvan,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.pub

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I fail to see why this is off topic as the problem was a WGA Product Key not functional. But this does not surprise me. I got bounced around when I called as well. Thanks for at least saying it was outside your area of knowledge--at least that was honest.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:52 PM