CRM 4 - Mail Merge Run-time error '52' Bad file name or number RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to create a blank mail merge document.  Nothing fancy.

I get Mail Merge "Run-time error '52': Bad file name or number" when I click the CRM button in Word 2007.

If I debug, I can see that the filename is something like (note the backslash): http://server:5555/org/tools/mailmerge\download.txt.

Mail Merge has worked for me in the past.  All I can think of is that we have made some changes on our firewall and added a redirect so that a client can see the site. but I don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree there

I would have expected the file location to be a local temp but I may be misinterpreting the Macro code.

Any ideas.  I am using Windows Server 2008 as my worstation but since this worked in the past I don't exect there will have been any change to warrant this error locally.

There is more than one Organisation on the CRM server as well.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:32 PM

Answers

• Have been able to get this working on a Windows 7 and a Windows XP machine so the problem is due to something (probably privileges) on my Winsows 2008 Server workstation.

Strange that it worked in the past.  Guessing either an update, a system change or a crash has caused the problem.

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:01 AM

All replies

• I have a suspision that this problem may be caused by the fact that I am connecting to CRM as a different user in a different domain to the one in which my workstation resides. This is a staging server and has its own AD. The only othere possibility I can think of is that Server 2008 is somehow blocking this action. Of course it may be something completely different!
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Have been able to get this working on a Windows 7 and a Windows XP machine so the problem is due to something (probably privileges) on my Winsows 2008 Server workstation.

Strange that it worked in the past.  Guessing either an update, a system change or a crash has caused the problem.

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi

I recently got this same error. It works for all users except one. All users are logging on using a win2k8 Citrix server.

Did you find any working solution for this problem?

Best regards

Jens Egil Evensen

Best Regards Jens Egil Evensen
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I see this issue from time to time and is always caused by the client machine being on a different domain from the CRM Server.

I have never been able to solve it so, for demonstrations, I have a client machine built on the same domain as our CRM development Domain.

I think it is something to do with Office rather than CRM or perhaps the transition between CRM Web and opening the office document.

Don't see why this can't be made to work. Haven't experimented with Domain Trusts and things.

Would be good to have a definitive guide or explanation from MS.

If your single user who is experiencing the problem is on the same domain as the others then I'm afraid it is a different issue, possibly related to privileges.  I would compare IE settings and also user local privileges.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:37 AM