none
"SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" error on Windows Server 2016 boot after adding registry keys RRS feed

• Question

• This is most likely in the incorrect forum but I couldn't find anything else that fits and I was referred to post here from my original post at: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-thread-exception-not-handled-error-on/fdfea291-af49-4634-b0f1-052294aa6197

Okay so I have a windows server 2016 VM that will not boot due to a "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" error during the boot process. This error also occurs when I try boot in safe mode. Now before I get into explaining what I have tried, I would like to make it clear I know why this is happening, and I have reproduced this on another VM.

What I was doing before I ran into this issue was trying to add registry keys/values to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Cryptography\Providers in an attempt to register the sample KSP C code I built and that I got from the Windows Cryptographic Provider Development Kit. Once restarting the computer, it becomes unbootable and everything I have tried to undo what I did is working. 

What I have tried:

- sfc /scannow, in the cmd line

- using reg.exe in the cmd line to try and remove the registry keys I added, but they do not appear to be showing up

- restarting in safe mode, with every possible configuration windows allows, such as with/without networking, with cmd line, with debugging enabled, etc.

Restoring the VM isn't an option because I do not have a recovery point to restore too, and I also do not have any VMWare snapshots to revert to. My only option without getting this fixed is to scrap the VM and start anew, but I would like to be able to recover from this issue if it happens again while trying to register a custom build KSP. 

• Moved by Baron Bi Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

>> This is most likely in the incorrect forum but I couldn't find anything else that fits and I was referred to post here from my original post at...

This forum is about c++ development. For your case which is more related to VMWare, I will help you move it to the off-topic forum.

Thanks for your understanding and Cooperation.

Best Wishes,

Jack Zhang

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:27 AM