Interesting issue RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so why is WHS unable to recognize a drive if it is set as Cable Select?  I have been trying to install and have tried multiple drives, wiped completely, formatted, wiped back to absolute raw state and WHS refuses to recognize.

I can install Win 2k, XP Pro, Kubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and a few other different OSes with nothing being an issue but WHS refuses to acknowledge a drive on CS?  What is the reasoning behind thia out of curiousity?

Monday, May 7, 2007 10:34 PM

All replies

• It must be an issue with your hardware.  All the drives in my WHS are set to cable select with the exception of the system drive which is SATA.  I have no problems. 

If it helps at all my hardware config is an older NForce 2 based motherboard with an 2500+ barton core an 1gb of ram.  The drives are connected to the onboard IDE connectors. 

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:06 AM
  •  Adragontattoo wrote:

Ok, so why is WHS unable to recognize a drive if it is set as Cable Select?  I have been trying to install and have tried multiple drives, wiped completely, formatted, wiped back to absolute raw state and WHS refuses to recognize.

I can install Win 2k, XP Pro, Kubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and a few other different OSes with nothing being an issue but WHS refuses to acknowledge a drive on CS?  What is the reasoning behind thia out of curiousity?

From what I've seen over the last few years is that motherboard's BIOS have not only "Which drive to boot from", but also which drives are available to the OS (enabled).  I know it's thrown me for a loop here and there when I am mixing up SATA and PATA drives.  Like, "Why does the bios see it on POST, but the OS doesn't?"  It was that I didn't add it to the enabled HDD list in my Boot Up bios screen.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I had exactly the oppsite problem.  I would try to boot from the DVD to install the OS.  It would get so far in before not being able to find the media in the device.  I tried different disks, OS's everything.  Then I change the jumper on my DVD drive to CS and that solved the problem.  Originaly I had it set to Master on the IDE2 port.  There was no slave so I didn't think it would matter.  Turns out looking at the documentation (Who reads that right?) is sais if this is the only drive on the channel to make sure the jumper is in the CS position.

None the less, once I move it to CS it worked fine.  I would try and check your drive to see what the jumper should be set to if it is the only device on the channel.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:09 PM
  • ok so trying it on a different system now.

WHS is unable to find a drive blah blah do you want to see the log?

Yes

Name:\\?\PhysicalDrive0

Address: ATA Channel 0
    Health:Unknown
    blah blah

It sees the drive, but due to the drive being unformatted, it seems to be ignoring the drive near as I can tell.

error 0x80004004

Hmm, gonna try a few more things, like dumping the DVD drive and Main drive onto the same channel (I dont do this a general habit)
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:37 PM
  • There have been some other reports of this particular problem (WHS refusing to install on a drive that's never been partitioned/formatted). The general consensus as far as workarounds is concerned is to create a partition on the drive on some other PC before you try to install WHS.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:47 PM