Logging into another computer RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Live Mesh 2011.  I put it on my laptop and also on my desktop running windows 7 home premium both on the same router. It saw my laptop and asked me if i wanted to add it which i did.  Since they are both on the same router that was basicially easy to do because they saw each other and i logged into windows live with the same useraccount for both

I have a few questions:

1.  How would I add another computer that is not on the same router like in a different workplace or state even.

2.  When connecting from the desktop to the laptop to test it- a box pops up on the laptop asking for permission to allow the remote computer. But if you are say at home and you want to connect to your work computer at your office and you are not there to accept the permission how the heck can you do this remotely?  Is there a way to not have the computer to ask?  I would think this would be a problem also with syncing documents between the computers (i have not tried that yet) does it ask too? because if it does how the heck would you get that to work?

3.  Can Live Mesh be put on a XP computer and if not how could you use live mesh from windows 7 to the remote computer?

4. Lets say you wanted to remotely go to a friends computer- I assume I would have to install windows mesh on their computer but now how would it see the other computer?  does this person need a windows live username and password? and if so how would I connect both of them.

The help file for windows live mesh is real confusing and doesn't explain any of this.

thanks

robin

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

•  

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

However, I can answer your questions:

1. You install Windows Live Mesh on the other PC. You have to do that and sign in so that it becomes part of your Mesh.

2. The dialog will wait for approval and then go away. it appears at the remote PC to allow another user to deny the connection if they are at that remote PC.

3. No. You cannot install Windows Live Mesh on XP and you will need to use a different solution to connect to an XP machine.

4. You cannot do this unless Windows Live Mesh is installed on your friend's PC and is signed in using *your* LiveID.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:40 PM