Job Activation Filter & Win HPC 2008 R2 Sp1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys..

...i've a question referring to activation fitler handling logic: after many tests, it seems that within the same RUNNING job (composed by many tasks, both Basic & Parametric Sweep ones) the filter is fired more than once. Basing on the available product documentation i thought that the activation filter is fired only once, when the HPC scheduler has to decide if queued job can run. If so, job starts running and isn't more influenced by the activation filter.

Could you provide me some deeper detail about activation filter logic or redirect me to any official documentation?

Thanks in advance for your time...

Gian
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Liwei,

thanks for your reply. After digging into the problem and spending a lot of time i figured out that i forgot to set the "CanPreempt" flag while submitting our jobs.

This, combined with our activation filter logic, resulted in multiple filter activations because once a task finished, if a job with higher priority than the current one was queued, the following task first entered the queued state and then the running one, firing again the filter.

Sorry for the time you spent replying me... i forgot to close this post....but we're really excited because the new release of our product will be soon compatible with Windows HPC Server...

Thanks for your time...

Gian

Gian
    • Marked as answer by allanon81 Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Gian, Activation filter should be fired once for queued job to run. If the job is not requeued again, it won't be fired any long. for your test, can you see whether your job is requeued? this info can be seen from job history: from cmdline, run: job view jobid /history Hope this helps Liwei
    • Marked as answer by allanon81 Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by allanon81 Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hi Liwei,

thanks for your reply. After digging into the problem and spending a lot of time i figured out that i forgot to set the "CanPreempt" flag while submitting our jobs.

This, combined with our activation filter logic, resulted in multiple filter activations because once a task finished, if a job with higher priority than the current one was queued, the following task first entered the queued state and then the running one, firing again the filter.

Sorry for the time you spent replying me... i forgot to close this post....but we're really excited because the new release of our product will be soon compatible with Windows HPC Server...

Thanks for your time...

Gian

Gian
    • Marked as answer by allanon81 Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:05 PM