none
Cannot login to Forums using IE9 on a specific computer 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to the forums, it does not recognize my login, so I click sign into forums which does nothing. When I go to ask a question I get the below message, that continually repeats.

You are not yet signed in. You need to be signed in with a forums profile to contribute. Continue...

I have tried other computers and it works on IE9 so I know its something with IE9 on my computer. It works on firefox without issue on the same computer. All other MSDN websites work on this computer except forums.

I removed IE9 and reinstalled, still does not work. I have deleted all cache, still does not work.

Can someone help?

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:59 PM forums issue (From:MSDN Subscriptions Feedback)
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• This problem was reported in this forum before by some users, try searching for suggestions in these threads - may be they help.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:22 AM
  • I've been suffering this on a 32bit XP IE8 for over a year, one particular workstation (my main one!) will not login.

Until the recent update, using InPrivate browsing (Tools/InPrivate ... on IE8 anyway!) was my workaround.  But it stopped working for me now.  It's still worth a try for you.

Josh

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:14 AM
  • When I go to the forums, it does not recognize my login, so I click sign into forums which does nothing. When I go to ask a question I get the below message, that continually repeats.

You are not yet signed in. You need to be signed in with a forums profile to contribute. Continue...

I have tried other computers and it works on IE9 so I know its something with IE9 on my computer. It works on firefox without issue on the same computer. All other MSDN websites work on this computer except forums.

I removed IE9 and reinstalled, still does not work. I have deleted all cache, still does not work.

Can someone help?

HI MyWar !

Since you are able to SignIn to Forums using Firefox, i would suggest you to first SignIn to hotmail using IE which ever version you are using to make sure its able to Log you in to the hotmail system. Then open the Forums to see if its automatically detects your User SignIn. Also verify whether scritping is enabled for IE.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work out for you.

Thanks, Hasham

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:47 AM
  • I can login to hotmail and MSDN without issue, however I cannot login to forums.

InPrivate browsing does not work, same result with normal IE.

Ideas? All other Microsoct sites work like MCP, hotmail, msdn downloads, etc.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Nope.

Sounds like I'm in exactly the same shape as you.

I've tried every sequence and trick I can think of.

FWIW Firefox does *not* work for me.  I have not yet tried Chrome.

Josh

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:21 PM
  • All other Microsoft sites work like MCP, hotmail, msdn downloads, etc.

Try one more?   WLSC.   FWIW that's where I always start (actually My Threads ICIM).   Once I'm signed in there I can appear signed in anywhere.  However, I use  Windows Live Sign-in Assistant  and never log out of anywhere.

BTW I think you could ask for help from the  Live ID portal there.   I'd be curious to know what they think might be happening.    They focus on Live products but I think they should be more aware of the technology involved.   Conundrum:  if you tried to create a profile there but were unsuccessful or weren't able to use it, what could you do to get help?  <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Going to windowslivehelp.com does not have any affect, once I sign in and go to the forums, get an error after reloading 10 times.

• This site may be experiencing a problem
    • The site may not be a member of the Windows Live Network

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Didn't do anything for me, either.

And I couldn't find the link where to report problems with liveid, it may be there but it's burried at least three levels deep and it escaped my search.

Josh

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:35 AM
  • All other Microsoft sites work like MCP, hotmail, msdn downloads, etc.

Try one more?   WLSC.   FWIW that's where I always start (actually My Threads ICIM).   Once I'm signed in there I can appear signed in anywhere.  However, I use  Windows Live Sign-in Assistant  and never log out of anywhere.

BTW I think you could ask for help from the  Live ID portal there.   I'd be curious to know what they think might be happening.    They focus on Live products but I think they should be more aware of the technology involved.   Conundrum:  if you tried to create a profile there but were unsuccessful or weren't able to use it, what could you do to get help?  <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

MyWarHistory, did you ask for help from the Live ID portal?

Did you try using the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant? Robert, do you have more info on that?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:54 AM
  • WLSC does not work. There is something messed up about IE9 that microsoft website has done to this one specific computer only. I have uninstalled ie9 and reinstalled but cannot get it to work. I should not have to reformat my computer just to get a section of a website to work.

What is the url of the live Id portal?

No, I have not tried an live sign in assistant, I do not nee more stuff on my computer.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:16 PM
  • WLSC does not work.

You're too late.   It is being taken down.

---

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:05 PM
  • WLSC does not work.

You're too late.   It is being taken down.

---

Robert, were you also referring to the general Live ID help?

Like this...? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/id-help-center

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:08 AM
  • WLSC does not work. There is something messed up about IE9 that microsoft website has done to this one specific computer only. I have uninstalled ie9 and reinstalled but cannot get it to work. I should not have to reformat my computer just to get a section of a website to work.

What is the url of the live Id portal?

No, I have not tried an live sign in assistant, I do not nee more stuff on my computer.

I believe this is the portal: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/id-help-center

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:08 AM
  • What is the url of the live Id portal?

I believe this is the portal: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/id-help-center

Supposedly there is even something now in   Answers   too.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thread started on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/cannot-login-to-forums-using-ie9-on-a-specific/9e2029d3-9fa7-444b-847a-582a218aa3b8

The above site actually works on the computer that is having an issue but still not closer to a solution.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Progress, IE works if I load it with no add-ons. However when I disabled every single add-on and it still does not work. So the question is what is difference between no add-ons IE and IE with all disabled add-ons?
    Monday, April 9, 2012 7:45 PM
  • So the question is what is difference between no add-ons IE and IE with all disabled add-ons?

Good question.   I would trace both cases with ProcMon and compare them for the modules being loaded.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 9, 2012 7:54 PM
  • How does one filter to only look at the modules in Process Monitor?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:06 PM
  • How does one filter to only look at the modules in Process Monitor?

You can use the buttons.   E.g. turn off Registry and File monitoring.   And in case it is only modules loaded by IE you could try filtering with  Process Name Is iexplore.exe right away but that might hide something which would be happening by a service.   Note that by default  ProcMon  captures everything anyway, so it is just the presentation that you would be changing.

---

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Just an amusing (?) aside.

Like the original poster I had this on one portable running Win 7 only. The problem was in an earlier version of IE (probably 8) but didn't vanish as I'd hoped when I upgraded to IE9. (There was a loop on accessing the forums when the browser first tried to ask for authorisation - the problem didn't disappear if I was already logged in to hotmail with the same valid authorisation)

Now the problem has completely vanished. How? That portable gave up the ghost - no portable, no problem.

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I was looking for some specific help with ProcMon, I know how to press buttons but the data is overwhelming. I already tried to filter by iexplore.exe and there were still hundreds of rows. Maybe I should just abandon Microsoft IE junk and use Firefox.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:51 AM
  • So the question is what is difference between no add-ons IE and IE with all disabled add-ons?

Good question.   I would trace both cases with ProcMon and compare them for the modules being loaded.

Another possibility would be finding a common trace record in your two traces and opening that up for its details.   That would show you a list of the modules which had been loaded in that thread, even supposedly a pseudo Stack Back Trace.

If there is a common point in the presentation of the two cases you could use  ProcExp  to similar effect.   E.g. it also can show you a list of modules which are loaded by a task and another Stack Back Trace for each of its threads.

FWIW I think toggling off the Registry and File monitoring in ProcMon (e.g. using the buttons) would be less work and easier to compare two cases.   Notice that you can open a saved trace (.PML file) in its own window and hence compare by tiling windows.   Etc.

---

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:43 PM
  • At this point the best solution is to buy a new computer or reformat windows. Using ProcMon to filter through thousands of items is waste of time.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:03 PM
  • You can use Firefox, right? What about other browsers?

But for some reason it doesn't work with IE9, even when you reinstall it. How about other IE browsers?

- IE8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

- IE10: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Yes, all browsers work except for IE. I am not downloading a beta product to test and I have already tried the uninstall route so IE8 is not an option. I have given up on this problem.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Understood.

We've got a few people who have experienced this issue, right? My War History, Mike, and JR? Robert, have you experienced it too?

What's the best writeup of this issue from this thread? How about...

- Cannot log into forums using IE9 or IE8. (Works for all other browsers.)

Some cases:

1. 64bit IE9 - MyWarHistory, what OS did you use?

2. 32bit XP IE8

3. Win7 portable (both IE8 and IE9)

Observations: Since this seems to be both 32bit and 64bit, on XP and Win7, and both IE8 and IE9, could this be a specific cookie issue with IE8 and IE9? Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:48 PM
  • What's the best writeup of this issue from this thread? How about...

- Cannot log into forums using IE9 or IE8. (Works for all other browsers.)

Some cases:

1. 64bit IE9 - MyWarHistory, what OS did you use?

2. 32bit XP IE8

3. Win7 portable (both IE8 and IE9)

Observations: Since this seems to be both 32bit and 64bit, on XP and Win7, and both IE8 and IE9, could this be a specific cookie issue with IE8 and IE9? Any other possibilities?

MSDN Forum / LiveID Bug

==================

* Logging into forums fails.  Login form works, but on return from screen ID does not appear on screen.  After that point, most attempts to access forum functions return an "invalid LiveID" message and nothing else.

* Speculation is that this is a cross-domain scripting trick that msdn/liveid uses, that may be related to cookies but is more likely related to some other security settings on affected workstations.

* Originally the problem produced server-side error messages (about 18 months ago?), but forums suppressed these messages - without fixing the problem!!!  Then for a time IE/InPrivate was a successful workaround, then that stopped working.  I finally found that Chrome worked, and four days later that stopped working unless I used the Chrome/Incognito function.  The change in behavior of Chrome may have been related to a Windows Update that occurred around that time (XP sp3, IE8, 32 bit).

* Using IE/InPrivate or Chrome/Incognito windows sometimes serves as a workaround, for me at this time only Chrome/Incognito is working.

* Clicking on that stupid, "Would you like to take our survey?" popup window will also kill a session in the InPrivate or Incognito that was otherwise working.

* Clearing cookies does not help, using different login names does not help.

* Another workstation on another port of my router on the same DSL line, worked fine, so it is apparently not related to the network location or routing.

Josh

ps - even when you get a login in Chrome regular window, or in FF, or in IE, there are now downstream problems in the HTML that prevent operation.  Since these apparently do not occur in thousands of other users' sessions, they may also be related to the liveid login bug.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:52 AM
  •  1. 64bit IE9 - MyWarHistory, what OS did you use?

Windows 7 PRO SP1
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:55 AM
  • * Logging into forums fails.  Login form works, but on return from screen ID does not appear on screen.  After that point, most attempts to access forum functions return an "invalid LiveID" message and nothing else.

FWIW I still think that this is not a browser issue but more of a Live ID issue and AFAICS you still haven't tried reporting it in a Live ID forum.   I gave you a link to the new Answers one but you opened a thread in Answers/IE instead which is not where you would find the most expertise on Live ID.

However, I do have a new suggestion as a diagnostic on a Live ID tack.   Create or use another Live ID.   If the one you are having trouble with is a Hotmail account, if possible create one which is non-Hotmail (or vice versa) and see whether your symptoms change.

* Clearing cookies does not help, using different login names does not help.

All the more reason to ask in a Live ID forum then.   Usually symptoms like yours can be traced to Cookies misuse on the server side but worked around accordingly on the client side.   But I don't think you should be surprised to have to redo these workarounds occasionally.   After all, if the problem is server side, of course you could see them again, on a frequency according to their probability of reoccurring there.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Robert posted the link previously, but the URL for the Live ID forum is: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/signin

Have you posted there?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Robert posted the link previously, but the URL for the Live ID forum is: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/signin

Have you posted there?

I could not before, and did not realize I was holding up progress.

I've posted now:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid-signin/liveid-problems-block-use-of-msdn-forums/097c9391-641b-404e-8071-a2640de4d3f4

HTH,

Josh

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:44 PM
  • I could not before, and did not realize I was holding up progress.

I've posted now:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid-signin/liveid-problems-block-use-of-msdn-forums/097c9391-641b-404e-8071-a2640de4d3f4

HTH,

Josh

Robert has a good point. This could be a Live ID issue and not unique to the forums.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:24 PM
  • This could be a Live ID issue and not unique to the forums.

Well, what exactly is supposed to happen now that I've posted it in that other forum?

Cuz so far, it looks like more nothing.

Josh

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Well, what exactly is supposed to happen now that I've posted it in that other forum?

You could try adding some refinements to your symptom description.   E.g. did you try using a different Live ID yet?

---

Friday, April 27, 2012 8:56 PM
  • You could try adding some refinements to your symptom description.   E.g. did you try using a different Live ID yet?

Yes Robert, reported above.

Josh

Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:34 PM
  • reported above

What I "read above" is:

"using different login names does not help"

and did not interpret that to mean that you were using a different Live ID too.

---

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Okay so we know it's not a Live ID issue. We also know that it's unique to IE (not FF, Chrome, or Safari). Right?

But this seems to be a rare case. Could this be a cookie/settings issue in IE?

JR, can you link to the thread where you asked your question to the IE community?

Thanks!

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:08 PM
  • What I "read above" is:

"using different login names does not help"

and did not interpret that to mean that you were using a different Live ID too.

Sorry for any ambiguity.

I have tried both different LiveIDs, and different Windows logins on the bad workstation.

Same results.

Done in remote sessions with Microsoft support about a year ago.

Josh

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Okay so we know it's not a Live ID issue. We also know that it's unique to IE (not FF, Chrome, or Safari). Right?

But this seems to be a rare case. Could this be a cookie/settings issue in IE?

JR, can you link to the thread where you asked your question to the IE community?

Ed, if you read the various threads, I think you will see it is not unique to IE, nor to any version of IE.  I see it also on FF.  That is, I see various disabling behaviors apparently related to the LiveID login.

Please note that this does not mean there is anything wrong with LiveID, it might, or it might not.

So there seems no point in my reporting it to this community, nor that community, nor the other community.  I've reported it here, and this is the right forum, and if MSDN support has to reach out to other communities to resolve it, then that is what they should do.

Thanks,

Josh

• Edited by JRStern Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:57 AM
  • I see various disabling behaviors apparently related to the LiveID login.

Are you referring to people who claim to have avoided the symptom by uninstalling  Windows Live Sign-in Assistant?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/1afba3fd-a575-41a8-8a85-697c11ba37ac/

Have you tried installing that?   Notice that then you could at least get some diagnostics from it in the Event Viewer.   ;  )

---

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:13 AM
  • I do not have Windows Live Sign-in assistant installed. Let me restate the problem.

I only have problems with IE and cannot login to the forums but I can login to MSDN. I have multiple live id's and it does not matter which one I use, they all fail on one specific computer (work fine any other computer). I load IE with no add-ons and it works. I turned off every add-on I could find and it does not work. Using ProcMon does not help, there is way too much information to process through and I could reformat my computer in much less time.

If anyone has the exact solution please reply. 

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:59 AM
  • How would we write this up as a bug? Can we make it very specific?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:25 PM
  • BUG:?

When I go to the forums, it does not recognize my login, so I click sign into forums which does nothing. When I go to ask a question I get the below message, that continually repeats.

You are not yet signed in. You need to be signed in with a forums profile to contribute.Continue...

I do not have Windows Live Sign-in assistant installed.

I only have problems with IE and cannot login to the forums but I can login to MSDN. I have multiple live id's and it does not matter which one I use, they all fail on one specific computer (work fine any other computer). I load IE with no add-ons and it works. I turned off every add-on I could find and it does not work.

Friday, May 25, 2012 4:55 PM
  • I submitted a bug request. This is the limit to what we can do at this point in time.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:13 PM