SyncToy 2.1 only copies files created/modified recently? RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that when copying my entire user profile (Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Videos, etc.), not all files are being copied.

The most sense I can make of why many files aren't included is that they haven't been modified in a year or more. I have no exclusions set.

For example, out of 59 files in the Documents folder, only 18 got copied. The remaining files did not get copied, and they all haven't been modified in one year or more.

There could be another reason perhaps, but they're all different file types, file sizes, etc. The copy completes successfully though, no errors. Log also reports no errors.

Thanks for any insight that can resolve this,

SA.

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• SyncToy by default does not synchronize the following set of files: Thumbs.db, Desktop.ini and files that are marked with System AND Hidden attributes. 

If you have a deep directory structure under your Documents folder, it could be the case that you have numerous Thumbs.db files under your Documents folder, as well as under Video and Pictures folder.

Can you identify if the files not being synchronized are of these types?

If this is not the case, could you provide the following information:

• What Change Action did you select for your folder pair? (Synchronize, Echo, Contribute)
    • Where are your folder pair endpoints? (ie. are both endpoints under the same machine? is one of the endpoints a network drive?)
    • What are the type of files that are not being synchronized?  (ie. pictures, documents)
    • Are the names of the files not being synchronized in a language other than English?

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Maria,

The file types were varied, ranging from .docx to .ppt and .pub. The file names are all English.

The action is contribute and is from my internal HDD to a USB attached external HDD.

SA.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:27 AM
  • I have almost exact problem. SyncToy stopped working correctly after I reached around 10.000 files in total. I am using Echo mode, folders are only two levels deep and file names are only with basic 26 letters (not even spaces are used). Target on USB HDD persistently has 1000-2000 files less. Since I lost confidence in the tool, I'll try other solutions.

ddarko
    Friday, February 18, 2011 3:12 AM