Is there a way to have a job spawn itself on the logged in user's desktop? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there a way to have a task or job (for instance, a cmd script) spawn a cmd window on the logged-in users desktop on a compute node, for instance? (Or, more appropriatly, spawn a backend process that needs to run in a cmd window, as the case may be)

In our environment, our compute node(s) would always be logged in as one user. Same user is logged into the management node. We would like to spawn jobs that run in cmd windows, on the logged in console of those compute nodes. The running processes may not be interactive but we need to see the output in real-time and not from a redirected file, or pipe.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Greg

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

•  

There's no built-in way to do this, certainly.  There might be possible solutions using named pipes to send data between a client and a backend cmd.exe or powershell.exe session.

Thanks,
    Josh

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• Are you using CCS '03 or HPC '08?
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  

CCS 03...I'm still testing to see if it'll work in our environment so I'm not married to it yet; I haven't investigated HPC08 at all.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:30 PM
  •  

There's no built-in way to do this, certainly.  There might be possible solutions using named pipes to send data between a client and a backend cmd.exe or powershell.exe session.

Thanks,
    Josh

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:08 PM